Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended firing pin broke

Russty

I was at the start of a steel shoot with my SP 01 decocker and the first round out of the mag wouldn't chamber. Tried another mag, same thing. Switched to backup gun, had a good shoot. Went home, checked out gun. The round was catching under the firing pin! The pin had snapped and was sliding out far enough to block the round from chambering. Bad ju-ju. I just ordered another extended pin from Cajun. Anyone ever dealt with this or is this just my luck? Oh, I use a Cajun's recommended retaining pin, not a solid one. It is supposed to save the pin from just such an occurrence!

Did the retaining roll pin break or have a notch worn in it? Also do you dry fire without a snap cap?

Because of the retaining roll pin design dry firing without a snap cap will repeatedly drive the firing pin into the retaining pin and cause damage to one or both. Remember the gun was not originally developed for competition and the massive amount of round and trigger pulls being done. 

Replace both pins and use snap caps, not just a dummy primerless round. Should fix the wear. 

Never had a firing pin break and I don't remember any competition shooter on my squad shooting a CZ having one break.  It could have happened.  I use a Cajun extended firing pin and roll pin installed with the "groove" in the pin in the 12 o'clock position.  Once in a while I remember to install a snap cap for dry firing but mostly I don't, I think you just got unlucky.

As HT suggested could it be a broken retaining pin?

If it is broken and you used the Cajun pin..."Life Time Warranty only when used with CGW 61100 firing pin retaining pin."  from Cajun website for 61050 EFP.

59 minutes ago, Tunachaser said:

shooting a CZ having one break.

Tuna

The SP01 retains the firing pin with a roll pin about 1/2 way down the channel. If you search the web you will find wearing through the roll pin is a really common problem, especially when dry firing without a snap cap to stop the FP from hitting the roll pin.  The Shadow 2 and other competition models don’t have the roll pin. 

BTW, I know this because the very same thing happened to my son with his SP01 at a competition. But the FP didn’t break it jammed full forward against because of the roll pin. 

Here’s a pic of the damaged roll pin. 

894E3266-AF0E-4B01-B270-FD0F068D2603.jpeg

I dryfired a crap ton with my 75b and never had an issue, but I always put a small o-ring under the hammer with any hammer-fired gun to cushion and quiet it. IMHO it's more effective than a snapcap because it cushions the fp retaining plate as well, and it also won't get me dq'd if I forget it in the gun and show up to a match.... although it could make the first stage suck, lol. Only did that once, and now I take it out after every dryfire session and set it on the bench under my 650.

The retaining pin was fine. The extended firing pin was the only damaged part. I just ordered a new one. I'll deal with the hassle of returning the old one later. I'm reassured that I'm the rare guy this happened to. Love my Sp 01s!

On 4/8/2022 at 7:06 AM, HesedTech said:

Tuna

The SP01 retains the firing pin with a roll pin about 1/2 way down the channel.

Yes and if you replace it with the Cajun roll pin AND install it correctly the problem goes away.  YMMV

15 hours ago, Tunachaser said:

Yes and if you replace it with the Cajun roll pin AND install it correctly the problem goes away.  YMMV

Maybe, so far my son's SP01 with the Cajon roll pin hasn't worn out yet. But he's now more cognizant of the dry fire issue.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:53 AM, motosapiens said:

I dryfired a crap ton with my 75b and never had an issue, but I always put a small o-ring under the hammer with any hammer-fired gun to cushion and quiet it. IMHO it's more effective than a snapcap because it cushions the fp retaining plate as well, and it also won't get me dq'd if I forget it in the gun and show up to a match.... although it could make the first stage suck, lol. Only did that once, and now I take it out after every dryfire session and set it on the bench under my 650.

I cut a foam ear plug in half and insert it against the firing pin stop. Learned that from the Sig Armorer.

On 4/16/2022 at 5:49 AM, pcar157 said:

I cut a foam ear plug in half and insert it against the firing pin stop. Learned that from the Sig Armorer.

I've done the same, and it is a much more obvious visual reminder if you forget it before going to a match. I suppose it will change the dryfire DA trigger pull a bit on the safety versions, but on the decocker versions the foam earplug still allows you to lower to the decocker notch. 

• 11 months later...

I have the CGW extended firing pin and spring. The firing pin broke so i replaced it with a new pin. After putting the gun back together, i loaded a mag, closed the slide with the slide release and the round went off - craziest thing i have ever seen. Thankfully the gun was pointed down as always when I hit the slide release.  Still not sure what happened as the hammer was still cocked back and my finger was off the trigger.  Guessing the spring is bad and the slide release had enough "snap" in it to cause the pin to slide forward and engage the primer. I immediately unloaded the gun, and plan to take it into a gunsmith this week. Thankfully everyone was safe, but it took about 5 years off my life in one moment...and put a nice hole in the hardwood floor! 

Just saw this.  Kind of scary.  I only used a snap cap for dry firing when I was practicing reloads.  I guess I'll have to check my retaining pin and start using snap caps regularly.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:02 PM, BCA said:

I have the CGW extended firing pin and spring. The firing pin broke so i replaced it with a new pin. After putting the gun back together, i loaded a mag, closed the slide with the slide release and the round went off - craziest thing i have ever seen. Thankfully the gun was pointed down as always when I hit the slide release.  Still not sure what happened as the hammer was still cocked back and my finger was off the trigger.  Guessing the spring is bad and the slide release had enough "snap" in it to cause the pin to slide forward and engage the primer. I immediately unloaded the gun, and plan to take it into a gunsmith this week. Thankfully everyone was safe, but it took about 5 years off my life in one moment...and put a nice hole in the hardwood floor! 

Which model CZ did this happen with? One with a firing pin block should have prevented the round from going off even with the CGW extended firing pin and a weak firing pin spring.