Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 legion grip reduction

magpulled

Hey guys I have a legion that i plan to shoot CO with in the near future. I’ve put a couple hundred rounds through it so far and I’m thinking about reducing the grip a small amount on the upper left side. When drawing it and shooting I don’t feel as comfortable as I should. It digs in to my strong hand (rh) thumb. Has anyone had this issue and resolved it by removing material? 
I’m thinking descent sand paper and a vise should solve it for me  but wanted to see it anyone has done this. 

32 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

And here I am being to nervous to mess up an expensive grip module and just sacrificing the slight bit of comfort  

I was nervous the first time also. However it is actually fairly straightforward.

As was mentioned the key is once you've got it roughed out to use progressively finer finishing materials.

If you go from coarse to fine in too big a jump it will take forever to work out the grooves left from the coarser material.

If you are patient it will look factory when you are finished.

23 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

I’ve done it to other grips, just not a $300 one lol. There a mental wall here I have to jump across 

Just go slow and you’re not going to mess it up in terms of function. It’s a tool. It may not look professional or Instagram worthy but it will be more functional. If it has a gouge in it who cares. No one expect you will likely ever see it. 

1 minute ago, Boomstick303 said:

I did the same thing with my magwell. If you put JB Weld in those holes and it prevents the magazine from hanging up in those holes during reloads.

image.jpeg.838a7f8611c4f38f962a5cc5171ef2f0.jpeg

I did that also. Here’s the pre dremel magwell. Yes, you get about .5” by opening it up. 

495FFF81-7685-48EA-8E46-70222E43E8BD.jpeg

8D55D693-C720-4BCF-A00C-1EAFDE5D2FE2.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I did the same thing with my magwell. If you put JB Weld in those holes and it prevents the magazine from hanging up in those holes during reloads.

image.jpeg.838a7f8611c4f38f962a5cc5171ef2f0.jpeg

I didn’t think of Jb weld. I have to stop looking at this as a gun in the collection but a dedicated competition gun. Tends to be harder than one would think. 

Thanks for the info. My grip already has a silicone carbide texture but I’m thinking about trying it. I’ve reduced Glock grips before and that’s easy so this should be no different. I didn’t realize that a quite a few people had this issue too. 

I'm waiting on my new grip tape to come in before I get to grinding. That way if I mess up, I cant just hide it lol. I also want to micrometer the difference between my x5 and my xcompact. After handling the two side by side, I think there are some difference that I would like to incorporate.