Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pants/shoes/top recommendations

thegeneric

I'm very new to all of this so please bear with me on the mountain of questions:

Pants:

I'm 5'11, 185-195lbs, a 31-33 waist size, athletic body type, with a long torso if that information is relevant.

The super ridgid belt system really digs into my hip bones. I'm talking bruising + tender skin from chaffing. I'm assuming my thinner hiking pants (Prana) aren't really helping the situation, and the belt loops are pretty flimsy.

Are there pants that are thicker around the waistband to at least provide some sort of cushioning while still allowing good mobility? (Prefer some sort of elasticity/stretch as I fluctuate waist size quite often throughout the year).

How high do y'all wear your pants/belt? 

Are there products on the market specifically designed to address this? I've stumbled on this: https://www.511tactical.com/zero-g-plate.html. Has anyone used this in a competition setting?

Shoes:

- one local club has gravel sporadically laid on the ground (quarter to ping pong ball sized) on top of very hard limestone. I've personally seen many shooters eat it while moving, I assume some sort of hiking type sole would help?

- Would shoes that work well in the above scenario also work well on the smooth concrete floor of indoor ranges?

- I prefer soft mid top type shoes/boots because normal tennis really chaff up my Achilles area.

Any recommendations?

Top:

- Any general recommendations? I hate cotton shirts... and it gets quite hot in Texas

- What're the arm sleeves I see people wearing for? UV protection or is there some sort of compression for your forearms?

Thank you for any help y'all could provide.

Edited by thegeneric

I shoot in Open Division: DAA Shottac pants (just above hip bones) + Club breathable clun-b sports shirt (long and short sleeves+ DAA Lynx belt + Aplha X holster + Alpha Xi pouches + 3 magnets + outside shoes: Salomon Speedcross 5 or Inov-8 Mudclaw 275 Men's Men's / indoor shoes: Asics Sky Elite

I’m a nobody, so take my comment for what it is. I’ve shot in 5.11 (forever ago) and don’t remember them being stretchy much. That may have changed over the years. But I get pants slightly larger anyways due to my IWB/AIWB. So I tend to have room to move. I’ve also shot in jeans just fine but then again, I haven’t had many crouching stages. I do have some jeans that are fairly stretchy though that faired better. 

Shoes, I’ve always worn a pair of midtop hiking boots. They did me well enough to not ever try anything else. 

Shirt, generally one of my moisture wicking Columbia shirts of something similar. 

Again, I’m nowhere near as good as most the folks here but I wanted to give you an opinion from someone just looking to have fun and do well. 

best of luck. 

There is nothing specific for shooting that you wouldn't also want to wear for a hike or any other sport in the same weather and on the same surface.  We move for 15 seconds then wait for 40 minutes to do it again.  If you can crouch, and if your shoes can grip the surface, you are good to go.  

In general, I wear what I am comfortable in.  Being skinny and wearing either a 625 or 1911 and gear, finding suspenders changed my world for the better.

Here in the southwest I shoot in tactical desert boots.  As a super senior I find compression sleeves over my elbows give added support and add

comfort. 

As others have said, wear what is comfortable and sturdy. I have never been a fan of the "stretchy" jeans fad, until I bought a pair to wear in the colder months to compete in. That extra bit of flex does come in handy when doing some of the acrobatics certain stages require. They're also sturdier around the waste I find, with more cushion like you mentioned.  As for shoes, Solomon speed crosses are super popular. They're a trail running shoe and a happy medium between cleats and running shoes IMO. Worth looking into, they may suit you for that ground you described (depending on how actually solid the surface is) but I would not use them inside (regular tennis shoes probably fine). I think some sort of cleated shoe is important if you're shooting outside. It took one slip n' slide in regular sole shoes to convince me no to wear them at an outdoor match again. The traction they provide is very confidence inspiring, especially on rapid deceleration or tight corners. I'm not a fan of boots just because they're super heavy and I fell very uncoordinated trying to run around in them, but some people really like them. I'm no expert but that's what makes me most comfortable and confident to run around in. 

1 hour ago, CC3D said:

that's what makes me most comfortable and confident to run around in. 

This, to me, is key. Having the confidence to be able to turn it up a notch without the fear of slipping will allow you to get rid of any subconscious fear. If I’m wearing running shoes and training in the backyard with dew on the ground, I feel myself slowing down a lot. All because I know I can slip and an ACL tear doesn’t sound fun lol. 

I wear comfy pants, bought for $15-or-so at Ross where I by many of my clothes because I'm somewhat of a frugal chap.

I wear a T-shirt tucked in; when it's cold a thicker one.

I wear a Hanks Extreme leather belt; similar to the Hanks leather belt I wear daily for carrying. It's guaranteed to last 100 years. Best money I ever spent on a belt.

I wear Timberland hiking shoes, also bought at Ross for about $19.

Edited by brother_hesekiel

On 2/20/2022 at 11:39 AM, synchronicity said:

In general, I wear what I am comfortable in.  Being skinny and wearing either a 625 or 1911 and gear, finding suspenders changed my world for the better.

Here in the southwest I shoot in tactical desert boots.  As a super senior I find compression sleeves over my elbows give added support and add

comfort. 

@synchronicityalso a Super Senior shooter that's been seriously considering suspenders and compression sleeves!

Care to share your specific equipment?

👍

A goodly number of pants/jeans nowadays are made with only five belt loops. Try to find some in your size with seven belt loops for more support and  if you can find something with a higher/taller rise so the belt rests above your pelvic girdle all the better. You didn't mention your inseam length, so be aware those manufacturers who offer pants in Tall sizes (for the increased rise) may only come in longer lengths which would require hemming to fit you. A small price to pay for a good comfortable fit.