Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 Toolhead Travel Issue - Not Enough Travel

After 20+ years of service I broke the crank arm (part #11062) on my Super 1050. Disassembly was a breeze. New part came in from Dillon and I verified the part #, and compared it to my broken crank arm, looked good. Reassembly was also a breeze and I installed all new roller bearings while at it. After reassembly the handle travel instantly felt less, almost like I was running an original 1050 and not the longer stroke Super 1050. Toolhead travel after reassembly does not go all the way down, I mean, the crank arm bottoms out on that bumper thing on the back bottom of the press, but the toolhead travel itself is not far enough down to have enough die adjustment, and also not enough for the next empty shell to be fed into the casefeed plunger. Operation up & down after reassembly was nice and smooth with no binding or anything feeling unusual.

My initial thought was that I need to flip the crank arm around, I must have installed it incorrectly. So I disassembled and looked and it appears to only be able to be installed one way, because there's a tab on the crank arm that fits into a slot on the frame.

So I'm stumped. Any advice?

This is a pic with the handle all the way down, so max downward toolhead travel.

C2TPs2d.jpg

I have yet had the need to take the knuckle apart on my Super 1050, but if I had to venture a guess the mechanic in me would think the part circled (I assume is the part you replaced in the crank arm) is in backwards 180 degrees.  

Nothing a quick call to Dillon Service will not fix.  If you could let us know what it was for the rest of us Super 1050 owners that would be awesome.

Also what reference did you use when replacing the crank arm?  Instructions of some sort?

image.png.a38e39e136e93b4bd18dae8fd1c6e8ed.png

Edited by Boomstick303

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have yet had the need to take the knuckle apart on my Super 1050, but if I had to venture a guess the mechanic in me would think the part circled (I assume is the part you replaced in the crank arm) is in backwards 180 degrees.  

Nothing a quick call to Dillon Service will not fix.  If you could let us know what it was for the rest of us Super 1050 owners that would be awesome.

Also what reference did you use when replacing the crank arm?  Instructions of some sort?

image.png.a38e39e136e93b4bd18dae8fd1c6e8ed.png

I thought the same but mechanically I don’t see how any part can go back 180 degrees different. 

I referenced threads here. Disassembly was ultra easy. 

either you have the wrong crank arm . Or. Something is wrong with the crankshaft( #11061 ) /journal key(#13475).

Leaning toward a Journal key problem.

compare your new parts to your old parts. Especially the keyway placement.

1 minute ago, AHI said:

either you have the wrong crank arm . Or. Something is wrong with the crankshaft( #11061 ) /journal key(#13475).

Leaning toward a Journal key problem.

compare your new parts to your old parts. Especially the keyway placement.

Old part was cracked badly, in a few places, so hard to do a good comparison with it, but I did compare and they looked the same. Will compare keyway placement, I did not do that, thanks.

I'm an idiot...in my haste to get the machine back up & running I did not recognize the new crank arm was 1/2" shorter than the old one. It was packaged as the correct Super 1050 part (part # 11062), however it appears I was sent a 1100 or RL1050 crank arm. Whatever the case Dillon was great to deal with and they're fixing the situation.

On 2/1/2022 at 2:09 PM, Bill Schwab said:

I'm an idiot...in my haste to get the machine back up & running I did not recognize the new crank arm was 1/2" shorter than the old one. It was packaged as the correct Super 1050 part (part # 11062), however it appears I was sent a 1100 or RL1050 crank arm. Whatever the case Dillon was great to deal with and they're fixing the situation.

Yep for some reason Dillon made that crankshaft different on each model of press. Discovered that recently with a friend prototyping his direct gear drive autodrive. 

4 hours ago, slavex said:

I'd love to know what crank arm they sent you. The RL1050 has an offset roller bearing setup, like the new 1100 has, not a crank arm like the Super has. 

After much back & forth with the Dillon rep they figured out I have a very early Super 1050, called a "Super 1050 A" on the part bag I received. The crank arm is different than the Super 1050 we all know & love, and my part # is 11001. Hope this helps.

22 hours ago, Bill Schwab said:

After much back & forth with the Dillon rep they figured out I have a very early Super 1050, called a "Super 1050 A" on the part bag I received. The crank arm is different than the Super 1050 we all know & love, and my part # is 11001. Hope this helps.

Excellent! Thank you, that makes things make sense lol. Good thing they are making those parts still!