Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a 22 LR handgun to train with

Have you looked into any of the airsoft options. I recently added one to my training. The mags fit in the same holders, the holster works for my airsoft gun and the ergonomics are spot on. I’m using it more for training of moving thru stages and getting in and out of positions sooner and making myself shoot sooner.  

5 minutes ago, Patrickxx said:

Have you looked into any of the airsoft options. I recently added one to my training. The mags fit in the same holders, the holster works for my airsoft gun and the ergonomics are spot on. I’m using it more for training of moving thru stages and getting in and out of positions sooner and making myself shoot sooner.  

Interesting. I have not. 

that’s pretty much what I was gonna use a 22 for 

The airsoft is cheaper to shoot I believe, and you can shoot it in your basement or maybe in your back yard. There are tons of options on guns and you can get pretty crazy. So far I like it if you want to see some in action you can look up action air ipsc it’s popular in countries were you can’t shoot or own real guns. I also think in cold climates it might be an option to shoot a stage with friends in a garage for fun. I’m running propane in mine it’s a little stinky if you shoot indoors 

If you are looking for a 1911 style get a Walther 1911-22.  It's the same size and about the same weight of the standard 1911.

I bought the Gold Cup Trophy model and am very happy with it.  Recoil is almost non-existent.  You can use regular 1911 parts for upgrades.  

Here's my 1911 and my P22.

P22 and  Gold Cup.jpg

Edited by AzShooter

14 hours ago, AzShooter said:

If you are looking for a 1911 style get a Walther 1911-22.  It's the same size and about the same weight of the standard 1911.

I bought the Gold Cup Trophy model and am very happy with it.  Recoil is almost non-existent.  You can use regular 1911 parts for upgrades.  

Here's my 1911 and my P22.

P22 and  Gold Cup.jpg

I like that

is it finicky with ammo?

I have a Nelson Conversion, semi-permanently installed on the action of the gun I was shooting the least.

So get the Nelson upper and have a lower assembled to make a complete gun.  He even has 2011 width magazines, although with no increase in capacity.

It won't be cheap, but nothing else I have seen comes close.

Unless you are shooting CZ in which case the Kadet gun or conversion is the way to go.  

I've got a walther 1911-22 rail gun.  I've put at least 35,000 rounds through it.  I just run the bulk federal packs with no problems.  The cheaper dirty stuff works fine too, but you have to clean it more often.  The firing pin did break in half once on me at about the 12,000 round mark.  I just called up walther and ordered a new one no problem.  A lot of the rounds have been suppressed.  I've changed out quit a few parts like the trigger, MSH, mag catch, sear, sear spring, and sights.  On my gun, because the slide is looser, I have to run the factory disconnector because it sticks up just a bit higher,  Also, I couldn't get the gun to work without hammer follow unless I used the factory hammer.  There's just a little difference in where the hammer hooks are placed.  All in all, I think it's a good value for a practice gun that is the same size as a 1911.  Mine's running just under a 3lb trigger.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:27 PM, Atlasguy321 said:

Looking for a 22 lr handgun that I can train with. I want to draw and reload like I normally would with my limited gun. 

I don’t want any 22 top ends. Just a 22 LR dedicated training gun. 

Take a look at the Taurus TX22, I think it's exactly what you want.  Yeah, I know, it's a Taurus, but for less than $300 you'll have plenty of money left over for a holster.  I got mine from ForgedTechHolsters, and I got the model for the TX22 Competition.  It works fine for the regular TX22, but I'm also planning to get the Competition SCR model as soon as it starts showing up in stock. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 1:27 PM, Atlasguy321 said:

Looking for a 22 lr handgun that I can train with. I want to draw and reload like I normally would with my limited gun. 

I don’t want any 22 top ends. Just a 22 LR dedicated training gun. 

What's your limited gun?

Look up Hi-capa at www.evike.com  The hi-capa design is simply a 2011 in airsoft.   Near perfect match to my 2011 pistols and some of them even have grips that are ergonomically very close to high end metal grips but don't have the weight.

I actually find that I like dryfire a little better for most training, but an airsoft gun and some small steel targets like from Tactrainers.com will really force you to clean up target transitions.  I have their steel challenge set and it's awesome to be able to run actual stages in your garage.  The Shotmaxx watch shot timer is perfect when shooting airsoft, but I'm sure others may be as well.

It's one thing to do transitions in dryfire, but a completely different level to make a transition to a tiny target and have to actually hit it.

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2022 at 7:17 PM, Bostenelli said:

I have a marvel precision unit 1 on a single stack frame.  Not sure of that was what you were referring to.  It is a little blockier than my actual single stack gun and does not fit my ss holster. The marvel mimics a model 41 so the optic does not move with the slide.  That may or may not be what you want either.  Accuracy is incredible I like it a lot but I use mine on steel challenge, not as a uspsa trainer. 

• 2 months later...

Another vote for the TX22. Most Taurus' are crap but these are good. 16 shot mags are super nice too.

Had the Walther 1911-22, mine was a lemon and even as a gunsmith I couldn't get it to be reliable enough to suit me. Have a Ruger 22/45 as well, it's very good but skinny little 10 shot magazines are a drag.