Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Lube for dies?

darthdively

Hey everyone, just wanted to see what your thoughts or experience is with this. I'm always looking for the best and least expensive ways to improve processes. As we all are right? I mean, that's why we reload. Anyway... lubrication for dies. I'm at a point where my 9mm Lee die needs lubrication. I have been using my own mix of Lanolin/ Isopropyl alcohol mix and wanted to venture in trying different lubrications. I have tried aerosol graphite lube and Remington teflon dri-lube. I'm exploring the great hardware store that is Amazon and found a product called CRC 3084 Dry Moly Lube. It looks interesting, I haven't tried a moly lube before. Has anyone tried this stuff before?

Thanks in advance!

23 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

I believe that H. Kim recently mentioned on one of the podcasts that Liquid Wrench dry lube works well on dies.

He did, it is what prompted me to shop around for others options too. I purchased some Blaster teflon Dry-Lube at an auto parts store. It didn't really help much. I purchased the CRC Dry Moly Lube 3084. This one I'm really curious about. I'm going to spray it on something to see how it cakes on(if it does) and dries first before attempting the die and then try it on my sizing die. I have seen where some people have refinished their USGI mags with this stuff. So this confuses me a little about how it works and it's applications. The description on the bottle indicates that it would be good for a resizing die. I emailed CRC to see if they have any other solutions that would help with us reloaders. Perhaps we should reach out to Lucas Oils to see if they are going to work on resizing lubes to add to their gun product lines. =P   I will report my findings.

Let me know if you all come up with something too!

Hornady one shot. Is actually a saw blade lubricant. That's rebranded. Do a little research. The info is out there.

When I did. Found that the Hornady was/ is. Less expensive for me to get. Others may find the wood working

Version. To be less expensive.

36 minutes ago, AHI said:

Hornady one shot. Is actually a saw blade lubricant. That's rebranded. Do a little research. The info is out there.

When I did. Found that the Hornady was/ is. Less expensive for me to get. Others may find the wood working

Version. To be less expensive.

Can you send me some materials to look. The only thing I can find is the safety data sheet that shows n-Hexane as the main ingredient. I'm no chemist so I really don't know what that means. See attached. I am interested to see if it is a rebranded product is the primary branding any less expensive?

1410992897-MSDS-One-Shot---Case-Lube-Pump-or-Refill.pdf

6 minutes ago, darthdively said:

n-Hexane as the main ingredient. I'm no chemist so I really don't know what that means.

n-Hexane is just the solvent that the lube is suspended in. The lube itself is probably some waxy paraffin, but that's not disclosed on the SDS.

The first thing I thought of when I smelled the newer One-Shot was the old Alox bullet lube. The old One-Shot that I first bought was like a mica powder. Like the old DuPont Slip Spray. There’s ton’s of company’s that use Alox for protectant and lubricant but I don’t know the chemical name for it. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, XL6504ME said:

dillion lube is terrible never buy that again

Weird I make my own version of the Dillon lube. I do not think it stinks and it works great. The only issue is you have to clean it off after reloading is complete where One shot does not require that step. 

I make my own “Dillon” lube for much cheaper than buying cans of one shot or buying the Dillon lube. 

So I got a can of that CDC Dry Moly Lub 3084. I cannot recommend it. It sprays on like a spray paint. Tested it on an old chair first. Then I tried to apply a thin layer on the inside of the die with a q-tip and let it sit for 24 hours. Tried a case and the lube sheered right off the die. So, no good for reloading dies but I have seen where people use this stuff to revive some AR15 metal magazines they had. I use my own lanolin lube mix too works well. Another mix that I use for resizing 223 cases before going through loading process is mineral oil mixed with alcohol. Super cheap to make. very slick and makes my processes very quick. I do clean my cases one more time before loading them to get all the oil off.

Always down to hear some more suggestions to try something new.