Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Made a tungsten grip plug for Glock 34

reverendrp

Just entering into the sport (USPSA Carry Optic). It's a lot of fun. I have just as much fun tinkering with guns as I do shooting. So I made a grip plug for my Glock. Bought a scrap of tungsten off ebay for $24 and started grinding down. Would grind it down, marker the whole thing, stick it in the grip to see where the marker rubbed off, repeat. Took a while but eventually got a plug that fits in there nicely. Haven't shot with it yet. Might be detrimental for all I know. But it's just held in with a set screw and I'm only out $24 and a couple hours. 

IMG_3329.jpg

13 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Nice! I just bought some tungsten weights and I'll pack the grip cavity and epoxy them in but this looks way nicer.

I really wanted it to be removable. I thought about epoxying in weight but was worried I wouldn't like how it shoots.

1 minute ago, reverendrp said:

I really wanted it to be removable. I thought about epoxying in weight but was worried I wouldn't like how it shoots.

Yeah, I get that. I initially just packed about 1.5 oz of tungsten disks and putty in my gen 5 backstrap and it does change the feel and I like it better.

Could probably pack it in and do a light coating of epoxy just to hold it and if you don't like it it's easy to sand off and remove.

Take it to a mold making shop and get a mold of it.  Not sure if you can melt tungsten but if there’s a way your in buisness. There’s one company around, I forget the name but there making brass plugs like that and selling them I think for 165 bucks.

33 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I guess the question is, what gen Glock did you make this for? 

A Polymer 80 so it wouldn’t fit most of these guys I am sure. Also, without a CNC that could cut tungsten I don’t know how you could mass produce these. Takes too long the way I did it to be profitable. 

4 minutes ago, reverendrp said:

A Polymer 80 so it wouldn’t fit most of these guys I am sure. Also, without a CNC that could cut tungsten I don’t know how you could mass produce these. Takes too long the way I did it to be profitable. 

Ah, I was gonna say if you got 5.5 oz in a gen 5 I'd look to make one but I think the cavity is too small.

9 hours ago, reverendrp said:

You know, now that I think about it, I’m totally OK with it along you a long time and not making any profit on mine. If fact, to help reduce your profit, I’ll even let you cover shipping. Shoot me a PM when it’s ready please. 

:)