Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Glasses

Flea

I have 60 year-old eyes and was wondering if shooting specific glasses are a real benefit or imagined. I'm not talking about vision correction glasses. I'm talking about glasses to help see outdoor targets better that are in the shade or that offer better contrast so it's easier to zoom in and pick out specific spots on targets. I see some guys wearing yellowish glasses or tinted glasses (those may just be sunglasses). Thanks

Edited by Flea

13 minutes ago, LordManHammer said:

It's been my experience that shooting with tinted "shooting glasses" is similar to fishing with polarized glasses.  Once you see the difference you'll never go back.

Any recommendations?

+1 on the Hunters Gold.  They give you great contrast and the have photochromic lenses meaning the get darker as the sun intensity becomes more intense. They essentially keep the same amount of light passing through the lenses in most lighting conditions.  Would not recommend them for indoor use, or during dusk or dawn lighting where I prefer clear lenses.  

I have purchased some camera glasses I intend to have Hunters Gold create a lens for the frame, which is another service they provide.  They can create lenses for most frames.  Note there are some frames they cannot create lenses for.

They can also create their lenses with prescriptions as well.

They are pricy, but for me it is one of the few things splurging on makes sense.  

34 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

+1 on the Hunters Gold.  They give you great contrast and the have photochromic lenses meaning the get darker as the sun intensity becomes more intense. They essentially keep the same amount of light passing through the lenses in most lighting conditions.  Would not recommend them for indoor use, or during dusk or dawn lighting where I prefer clear lenses.  

I have purchased some camera glasses I intend to have Hunters Gold create a lens for the frame, which is another service they provide.  They can create lenses for most frames.  Note there are some frames they cannot create lenses for.

They can also create their lenses with prescriptions as well.

They are pricy, but for me it is one of the few things splurging on makes sense.  

^^^^^^^^^

Completely agree.  I just turned 62 and have these:

https://huntershdgold.com/store#!/Hunters-HD-Ruby®-IN-VIEW/p/298555675/category=81713113  in Gold - very happy with them.

A really good review comparing the Hunters Gold to the new Hunters Gold Ruby edition.  Although I have not worn them I think the Ruby would be too dark for my taste. 

He does give you an idea the Gold and Ruby give you in contrast to normal (clear, or no glasses) as far as what targets look like through them. 

Same here. I can't say enough great things about Brian (and his staff) and Hunters HD. I own a few pairs now and never work on the range or shoot without them. If you can catch him at a match, he'll even let you wear them a while so you can "try before you buy." You can't go wrong with this deal. Also, if you have an employer-sponsored FSA account, these qualify as a medical purchase. Good luck!

2 hours ago, gng4life said:

Same here. I can't say enough great things about Brian (and his staff) and Hunters HD. I own a few pairs now and never work on the range or shoot without them. If you can catch him at a match, he'll even let you wear them a while so you can "try before you buy." You can't go wrong with this deal. Also, if you have an employer-sponsored FSA account, these qualify as a medical purchase. Good luck!

They actually have a money back guarantee if you get them and don't really like them. Good to know about the FSA.

I've just swapped out the lenses in my ESS Crossbow glasses to the Hi-Def Copper lens only used them at a 2 day match last month but 100% better than the clear lens and was a bit better than the smoke grey lens but time will tell with that on some really bright days.

https://www.esseyepro.com/en_us/ballistic-eyeshields/crossbow-suppressor/crossbow-suppressor-one-black-w-hi-def-copper