Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22 Barrel Info Needed

Philip Dedmon

Hey Cuz!

Hope you are doing well.

You might also want to consider the Briley Raptor barrel: Briley MFG - Briley “Raptor” 16.5” Ultra-lightweight 10/22 Rifle Barrel

It weighs 10 oz., has full length rifling & accepts all rimfire compensators. We've had great experience & customer feedback regarding the fitting, reliability & accuracy. 👌👍

Hope to see & shoot with you again in the future. 🤞

Jim

22 minutes ago, Jim O'Young said:

Hey Cuz!

Hope you are doing well.

You might also want to consider the Briley Raptor barrel: Briley MFG - Briley “Raptor” 16.5” Ultra-lightweight 10/22 Rifle Barrel

It weighs 10 oz., has full length rifling & accepts all rimfire compensators. We've had great experience & customer feedback regarding the fitting, reliability & accuracy. 👌👍

Hope to see & shoot with you again in the future. 🤞

Jim

Good to hear from you Jim, I will give the barrel a look

I have used both the Wiland steel shroud barrel and the Briley Raptor.  The Wiland was super accurate.  With three different brans of ammo I could hit the silhouette chicken at 50 yards five out of five tries.  This was with SV ammo.  My problem with the barrel was I thought it too light upfront.  I would often over shoot a transition and have to come back.  Also, your trigger control had to be perfect.  Part of this was the way I had the gun set up.

I was having stove pipe ejection issues with the CCI SV ammo I was using.  Hotter SV like Eley Target worked 100%, but I didn't want to use up my bullseye ammo for steel.  The Briley Raptor was recommended to solve the problem, so I bought one.  It didn't.  So I went to HV ammo and sold off the CCI SV.  I also made changes to the gun.  I was using the Kidd Al chassis with a steel tube and butt stock.  I went with a Smoke composite stock and the gun balanced perfectly with the Raptor.  No more overshooting.  At the last two matches I scored five personal bests in RFRO.

The only problem I have with the Raptor is it is not as accurate as the Wiland.  That said, it is more than accurate enough for steel.  Part of the problem is the CCI 40gr MiniMags.  They are not as accurate as the SV.  A plus for the Raptor is their claim it will chamber any ammo.  It does.  It feeds and fires 100% on all the brands of ammo the Wiland choked on.  BTW, the Raptor is 11+ oz.

Briley also says no gunsmith work required.  Well that's true only because the tenon is well undersized.  My receiver is a gunsmith fit receiver in that you have to remove material from the barrel tenon to get it inserted.  The Raptor barrel slid right in and was loose.  If you have an over spec tenon bore you WILL get some barrel droop.

Edited by zzt

On 10/13/2021 at 10:04 AM, zzt said:

I have used both the Wiland steel shroud barrel and the Briley Raptor.  The Wiland was super accurate.  With three different brans of ammo I could hit the silhouette chicken at 50 yards five out of five tries.  This was with SV ammo.  My problem with the barrel was I thought it too light upfront.  I would often over shoot a transition and have to come back.  Also, your trigger control had to be perfect.  Part of this was the way I had the gun set up.

I was having stove pipe ejection issues with the CCI SV ammo I was using.  Hotter SV like Eley Target worked 100%, but I didn't want to use up my bullseye ammo for steel.  The Briley Raptor was recommended to solve the problem, so I bought one.  It didn't.  So I went to HV ammo and sold off the CCI SV.  I also made changes to the gun.  I was using the Kidd Al chassis with a steel tube and butt stock.  I went with a Smoke composite stock and the gun balanced perfectly with the Raptor.  No more overshooting.  At the last two matches I scored five personal bests in RFRO.

The only problem I have with the Raptor is it is not as accurate as the Wiland.  That said, it is more than accurate enough for steel.  Part of the problem is the CCI 40gr MiniMags.  They are not as accurate as the SV.  A plus for the Raptor is their claim it will chamber any ammo.  It does.  It feeds and fires 100% on all the brands of ammo the Wiland choked on.  BTW, the Raptor is 11+ oz.

Briley also says no gunsmith work required.  Well that's true only because the tenon is well undersized.  My receiver is a gunsmith fit receiver in that you have to remove material from the barrel tenon to get it inserted.  The Raptor barrel slid right in and was loose.  If you have an over spec tenon bore you WILL get some barrel droop.

So what you are saying is the Briley Raptor did not like CCI SV? 

11 hours ago, Philip Dedmon said:

So what you are saying is the Briley Raptor did not like CCI SV? 

No.  I can't say how accurate the barrel would be with CCI SV.  I had two stovepipes in the first 10 sighting in shots, so I quit right there.  The Raptor barrel did not increase velocity enough to cure the stovepipe jams with CCI SV.  The problem is a too heavy bolt.  I was using the super slick Kidd recoil rod and -10% recoil spring.  The extra 20fps and greater consistency of the Eley Target performed 100% in the Wiland, so I'm sure it would have worked in the Briley.

I briefly considered going to a lighter bolt, but it was easier and cheaper to go to HV ammo and change to the 'normal' spring.  I don't shoot the silhouette competitions.  I use the silhouettes to judge how accurate a barrel/ammo combo is.  If I was building a new gun now I'd buy the Briley Raptor.  It feeds everything and it is more than accurate enough for steel challenge.  Plus you don't have to worry about lead buildup in the shroud.

3 hours ago, hornetx40 said:

why do you say this? because its steel vs. aluminum?

22LR bullets, whether lubed lead or copper washed, spew vaporized lead when they exit the muzzle.  That lead condenses on the first cool thing it hits.  That's why 22 comps gunk up so quickly.  In a shrouded barrel that vapor condenses on the shroud just in front of the muzzle.  It continues to build up and add weight.  That's why Taccom offers a rotary scraping tool to allow you to remove it.  Wiland planned to the last time I talked to them.  I don't know if they ever followed through.  On the Raptor barrel there is noting in front of the barrel, so there is nothing for lead to collect on (except if you add a comp).

On 10/13/2021 at 7:04 AM, zzt said:

The only problem I have with the Raptor is it is not as accurate as the Wiland. 

10 rounds CCI Std. Velocity, 25 yds., sandbag rest, 4 MOA red dot, slow fire for accuracy.

The group is well within the 1" dot reticle at 25 yds.

I have NO experience with, nor can I speak with any first hand knowledge about either the accuracy or reliability of the Wiland barrel.

CCISV.jpg

Edited by Jim O'Young

10 rounds CCI SV, 80 round mag dump into the upper AB zone to heat up the barrel, then 10 rounds to the original POA. Result: NO POI shift.

Again, this was shot using a 4 MOA red dot, which translates to 1" dot reticle at 25 yds.

If you do your part with your rifle & magazines clean & properly setup and use good ammo, it, along with the Briley Raptor barrel, will go bang every time. The accuracy is more than sufficient for my purposes. If you can outrun the accuracy of this barrel, you're a better shooter than I.

And if the actual weight is important to you, please know that Claudio at Briley weighted it on a calibrated analytical scale at just over 10 oz.

Mag_dump.jpg

Edited by Jim O'Young

5 minutes ago, Jim O'Young said:

And if the actual weight is important to you, please know that Claudio at Briley weighted it on a calibrated analytical scale at just over 10 oz.

My calibrated postal scale says 11.2 oz.    Everyone else I know who has one say 11+ oz.  I don't actually care, but I do consider 10 oz. to be false advertising.  I guess it is possible they do have one barrel that weight 10, but that isn't what they are shipping.

BTW, I said I didn't shoot CCI SV in the Raptor for accuracy, because it didn't work.  CCI SV has always been a lot more accurate in all my guns than MiniMags.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

My calibrated postal scale says 11.2 oz.    Everyone else I know who has one say 11+ oz.  I don't actually care, but I do consider 10 oz. to be false advertising.  I guess it is possible they do have one barrel that weight 10, but that isn't what they are shipping.

I have been told specifically that it weights just over 10 oz., but have not measured it myself.

4 minutes ago, zzt said:

CCI SV has always been a lot more accurate in all my guns than MiniMags

I have also found this to be the case and this is why I shoot CCI SV in both my Briley Raptor rifle and S&W pistol.

On 10/17/2021 at 5:18 PM, Jim O'Young said:

I have been told specifically that it weights just over 10 oz., but have not measured it myself.

I have also found this to be the case and this is why I shoot CCI SV in both my Briley Raptor rifle and S&W pistol.

I just weighed a Raptor barrel and it was dead on 11.0 oz. It was weighed with an aluminum thread protector. With no thread protector it weighs 10.8 oz.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:18 PM, zzt said:

22LR bullets, whether lubed lead or copper washed, spew vaporized lead when they exit the muzzle.  That lead condenses on the first cool thing it hits.  That's why 22 comps gunk up so quickly.  In a shrouded barrel that vapor condenses on the shroud just in front of the muzzle.  It continues to build up and add weight.  That's why Taccom offers a rotary scraping tool to allow you to remove it.  Wiland planned to the last time I talked to them.  I don't know if they ever followed through.  On the Raptor barrel there is noting in front of the barrel, so there is nothing for lead to collect on (except if you add a comp).

The Taccom lead cutting tool works in the Wiland barrel.