Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 617 forcing cone, I gots questions and pictures

ysrracer

I had to ream the forcing cone on my 617 because it was spitting lead.  Once done I had no more problems.  You can buy a kit from Brownell's.  If you shoot a lot of revos it's worth being able to do it yourself.  If you have friends with revolvers go together to get the tools.

4 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I bet you put a bit more effort into the fitting of everything than Smith does 🙂

Not always.

I try to find good ones rather than fix bad ones. 

23 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I had to ream the forcing cone on my 617 because it was spitting lead.  Once done I had no more problems.  You can buy a kit from Brownell's.  If you shoot a lot of revos it's worth being able to do it yourself.  If you have friends with revolvers go together to get the tools.

I didn't see one of these kits on Brownell's website or am I not looking in the right place?

19 minutes ago, BadShot said:

I didn't see one of these kits on Brownell's website or am I not looking in the right place?

I think my gunsmith uses this one

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/barrel-tools/chamfering-tools/complete-38-45-chamfering-kit-prod26157.aspx

3 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I get whatever I can get and make them into what they should have been to start with.

Lately it seems like that’s the only choice. I feel like the market is a little dry for new guns right now. 

My 627 "Performance Center" revo leaded up badly all around the cylinder and especially between the top of the forcing cone and the top strap.  My gunsmith used a tool to shave off a little of the forcing cone to increase the cylinder gap, and I was disappointed that the face of the cone was not even square with the cylinder until he fixed it.  Now it seems to be building up less lead.

Edited by S&W627shooter

On 10/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, ysrracer said:

I rented my kit from here to correct my 929 forcing cone..

https://4drentals.com/products/precnecknthrt/

On 10/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, ysrracer said:

and you don't need the whole kit, all the bits in there are sold separately, just takes a little clicking around...

Ok, I had my gunsmith finish chamber ream the cylinder, and re cut the forcing cone. I took it to the range today, and....

and...

and...

Meh, it's about the same :)

but that new forcing cone sure looks pretty :)