Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training wife or significant other to case gauge

Cowguy

My best guess if she’s not a shooter and therefore has no skin in the game so to speak may be to offer her a foot massage while she gauges the ammo, or after finishing a certain amount of ammo. Maybe that will motivate her. 

Think about what it might take to get you to help her with her knitting and that may give you a perspective. 

Good luck. I just do it all myself the only thing I get help with from my kids is shooting the ammo. Little do they know I haven’t cleaned “their” guns in well over a year, so when they stop working they can decide to learn how to clean, or deal with an unreliable firearm. 

I get my kids to do it, not without complaint though. I make the deal that if you want to shoot you have to help on three things. 1. filling primer tubes 2. case gauging ammo. and 3. picking up brass. 

No way I could get my wife to do it. 

10 minutes ago, Bwenning said:

I get my kids to do it, not without complaint though. I make the deal that if you want to shoot you have to help on three things. 1. filling primer tubes 2. case gauging ammo. and 3. picking up brass. 

No way I could get my wife to do it. 

I tell my kids to pretend each piece of brass is a dime, and by retrieving them for me they are helping to fund their shooting. 

As for primer tubes and case gauging, I consider my reloading room to be a place of solitude, where I don’t mind being alone. The Pal Filler eliminated any qualms I used to have about filling the tubes. 

• 4 weeks later...

She "seems reluctant"...

Hmmm, well if she is shooting up some of that ammo then you might have a legitimate question.

Otherwise I can pretty much guarantee there is more resistance than what it "seems".

If her response was anything less than "you've got to be f'n kidding me" she was just being nice.

If she isn't shooting, she ought to be reluctant. 

If she does shoot a little bit, then I say protect that situation and keep doing it all yourself. 

Now if she is one of the few wives that would actually shoot a match without you then just case gauge your own ammo and when she starts getting jams, she might want to start pitching in.  

I would just be ecstatic to have her shooting with me and would happily do it all myself if she didn’t want to help. She can help out in other ways, like not caring when you want to spend $5k on an automated loading system, or making and packing lunches and drinks for match day. 

On 8/23/2021 at 6:09 PM, Cowguy said:

Has anyone ever had any success in training a helper to properly case gauge ammo. If so how, she seems reluctant.

My wife and I have an agreement:

When she cooks, she washes the dishes.  When I cook, she washes the dishes.  When her laundry needs washing, she does the laundry.  When my laundry needs washing including my stinky socks, she does the laundry.  When her laundry is done and needs ironing, she does the ironing.  When my laundry is done and needs ironing, she does the ironing.

When my guns are dirty, I clean them.  When her guns are dirty, I clean them.  When I need or want a new gun, I buy or build one.  When she needs or wants a new gun, I buy or build one.  When I'm out of ammo, I load more ammo.  When she's out of ammo, I load more ammo. Etc...

This has worked very well for us, give it a try.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in the camp that if she expresses interest in helping then go for it.  Maybe suggest it once.  If they aren't interested then they aren't going to put the attention into it that's needed.  I also agree with another post here.  My wife does so much around the house and with the kids that there is no way I'd try to force her to do it.  The fact that she lets me shoot with no drama is enough.  If she actually goes and shoots with you then just be happy, because it's rare.

I'm lucky in this regard.  My 7 year old daughter loves doing all of it, and my wife actually likes it when I take her to the range because it give her some "me time" without the little one clinging all day.

My daughter gets mad if I load primer tubes or case gauge ammo without her.  She also grabs the brass bag and goes to town while I'm packing up at the range and she even insists on us using the de-lead wipes before we get back in the car or after we finish loading, etc.

I haven't tried an automatic primer tube filler, but filling primer tubes doesn't bother me at all.  I have 12 small primer tubes.  Exactly the amount that will go on one of the primer tube holders (can't remember if they are on the Enos site or another).  She and I just load 12 tubes at a time and then I can load 1200 rounds without stopping if desired.  Doesn't take long at all and makes actually running the press go smoothly.  It's gonna be time to sort brass soon and she's begging to do that.

When she case gauges she uses the hundo.  She loads it up and checks it and then I check it behind her.  Iffy rounds go in the practice bin and she boxes them up and labels them if needed.

I'm fortunate.  I buy/build/maintain guns and gear and reload ammo.  She case gauges (her

idea), shoots the ammo and occasionally decides that one of my guns now belongs to her.

We have been shooting together for 18 years now---sure makes vacation planning easy

when they are usually centered around major matches.