Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 minor load- 115 w/ CFE pistol or VV N320

JayDee

Hi all,

I am trying to make the most of my component situation. I’ve acquired a stack of berry’s 115 rn and I have a decent stock of CFE Pistol and VV N320. 

I’ve used CFE Pistol for my regular minor production loads but have run out of my favored 147s. 

Any good combos you all have used with these powders and 115s? 

Again, looking for minor load data starting points to eventually get to 131pf. Yes, I have a chrono :) 

Not plated, but I load 115 JHP with 5.6gr CFE which makes a 132 power factor it my setup. For reference, 5.8gr CFE was a 138 power factor so you might not have to step down much for powder to get your desired power factor.

4 hours ago, CZ85Combat said:

CFE Pistol is a slower burning powder. you will get better results with the N320.  Start N320 @ 4.2gn with the 115gn bullets and work up to about 4.6gn.

Thanks for the input. Can you define “better results”? 

• 3 weeks later...

I like CFE just fine… but I find it to be exceptionally dirty on the low end minor loads. I’d go VV for this application. 

The type of gun/barrel length would be helpful for a load starting point. 😉

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

I like CFE just fine… but I find it to be exceptionally dirty on the low end minor loads. 

Amen! It works but man is it dirty in the 5grain range

Have not had a chance to load any 115s with either powder, but I appreciate the info. 

So far I’ve loaded about 5k 147 grain 9mm minor with CFE-pistol and found it works great with 4.0 grains in a variety of pistols and PCC, 131 PF. I haven’t noticed this load to be exceptionally dirty, it’s accurate in all my pistols and the recoil impulse feels quite manageable. And, if N320 is cleaner and softer shooting, awesome, sounds like a great suggestion. 

The 115 load will be mainly for PCC (16”) and carry optics (4.7”) if/when I run out of 147s. 

• 1 year later...