Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light And Small 400cc

I have been thinking about it since the gas price went up. I totally decided so after the Desert Classic. The weather there is sooo beautiful, highway's never packed like CA and very well maintained. It would be dope to ride to Rio Salado for practice once I move.

I used to ride for about like 15 years, did some racing (with 125cc 2 cycle which sounded like a buzzing bee) so, it would be nice to ride agin.

My first choice is naturally Ninja 250. But I could consider 400cc if there's small/light one out there. I used to love Honda CB400 (dunno if you guys had in the US but really old model from 80's) My friend rides Harley low rider and she said if she tip it over, she'd call her friend for rescure... that's not my way. I need to be able to lift it up.

Any suggestion? I prefere Japanese on-road model. :) Guns and motorcycle. I am aaaal set ;)

Hi Rika & good shooting at Area 2.

I am a former road racer too but I hung up my leathers after a big crash during a 6 hour race at Road Atlanta in 1999 (front brakes locked up). I still have that old Honda F4, but Washington is possibly the worst place to ride! (not going back to the street).

The 400s have mostly disappeared from the US market (though I know that they fit into Japan's tiered licensing scheme). About the smallest bikes sold in the US now are (as you mentioned) the 250 Twins (Kawasaki Ninja or the old Honda VTR 250 if you can find one used - Hondas last forever!).

Next step up is a parallel twin 500cc Kawasaki (literally 1/2 of the older 1000 Ninja inline 4) or the air-cooled Suzuki GS - reliable but slooooow.

However, if you really want a fun ride w/ much more modern suspension (after all, we know its all about how the bike handles) then take a look at the Suzuki SV 650 V twin.

Sure, its a few more CC's than you asked for, but I think its the best of the lighter bikes out there. It should get great milage and I know you would feel right at home since its a capable track bike.

C.

Too bad Yamaha doesn't make anything like the RZ350 anymore. If you raced 125 GP, then you would've loved this bike.

350 twin 2 stroke with a bad a$$ power curve. 300ish weight, 40+ HP, yeah they fly. The 1990 ones were the last year made IIRC. The day the 2 stroke street rocket died :(

They were available as a five hunnert too, but that just wasn't fair to the 750 and 9 hunnert valve bangers ;-0

post-749-1132030107_thumb.jpg

second vote for the Suzuki SV650. Since you've ridden in the past, this would be a great "next step". I started out years ago (1989) with a GPz550...then years later, progressed to a tweaked Yamaha YZF750 (Mike Velasco set it up for racing) and then finally a Yamaha R1.

If you start small (400cc) you'll probably quickly out grow it and you want plenty of power for getting out of dangerous situations.

Too bad Yamaha doesn't make anything like the RZ350 anymore. If you raced 125 GP, then you would've loved this bike.

350 twin 2 stroke with a bad a$$ power curve. 300ish weight, 40+ HP, yeah they fly. The 1990 ones were the last year made IIRC. The day the 2 stroke street rocket died :(

They were available as a five hunnert too, but that just wasn't fair to the 750 and 9 hunnert valve bangers ;-0post-749-1132030107_thumb.jpg

Great small bike indeed!

Although it had a bad nickname (the Coffin), due to the fact that several incompetent/reckless guys (who tried to outrun their ability) lost their lives in the very first period of that bike being sold here in Italy, it was a very funny and light/poweful package.

My brother is looking to buy a street bike, too. It's disappointing at the lack of choices* for lightweight, economical, affordable bikes. I told him to get a 650 thumper or Ninja 250. The Honda 650 costs around $6300 out the door! The Kawasaki 500 is a pretty good buy and fun ride.

* Frackin' industry and media has duped people into the assinine idea that a 600 4-cyl sportbike is a beginner's bike.

* Frackin' industry and media has duped people into the assinine idea that a 600 4-cyl sportbike is a beginner's bike

Only if it comes with full medical coverage :blink:

I totally agree with that sentiment. Few folk can handle the full size modern sportbike as a beginning streetbike. Better to buy a dirtbike and learn how fall off it fairly safely first, or even better yet, stay on it ;-)

I dunno if you are dedicated to the sport bike genre or not, but I rode a Yamaha V Star 1100 before I got my Harley. I imagine that same V star in a 650 would be pretty affordable, and if anything like my 1100, have plenty of power per pound of bike. My 1100 was noticeably quicker than my 88ci Roadking. Also, the V Stars sit very very low, a big plus for some of the shorter ladies. A good friend of mine is about 4'11" and has no problem touching the ground and handling her V Star. I am sure they get great mileage as my 1100 got like 55 or 60 mpg. I think you might like it enough you will forget that you got it to save on gas.

Honda Rebel 250's (or 125) would be the fuel king, but I dunno if I would wanna take one on the highway as I think they start whining real hard around 55 mph.

If you're looking to save money on gas, I've got a buddy that rides a BMW F650. I like how it's built for on and off road - that would come in handy for getting down some of the rocky roads to the ranges around year. Makes me sick when he tells me he gets high 60s on gas mileage! That's twice what I get out of my Valkyie! 'Course gas mileage wasn't even a remote consideration for my bike! Fast, black, and eats Harleys for lunch! :P

I've heard some good things about the Suzuki V-Strom. They have a 650cc model that's supposed to be real light. I was considering one for a smaller run-around town bike.

This may not be what you need...but if we only bought what we needed, well, life would be a bit boring, no?

102 mpg? Ability to go anywhere?

http://www.m1030.com/models.htm

Good luck, and if you decide to go with a little rocket, take my advice and invest in some top quality leather. Remember, there are 2 kinds of riders---those who have wiped out and those waiting to wipe out. Buy the best in safety gear and you will have a lot more fun.

"Suzuki makes a 550 no frills sport bike that is light and petite. I do not know the model number"

I think that is the GS500 I referred to above & if so, its a very reliable air/oil cooled twin that uses the oil injectors Suzuki developed on the older GS & later first generation GSXRs; the oil coolling jets aimed at the pistons & crank had the added effect of making those engines last forever! I campaigned an '86 GSXR "flexi-flyer" for a season and it was terrifying. High speed wobbles, terrible brake fade and frame flex around & out of every turn. Sigh - I really miss that bike.

The GS is a fine, reliable bike if you are seeking is to save some $$$ on gas. THe Kawasaki liquid cooled 500 has more power & should get slightly better milage if you are easy on the throttle. But for economy, fun, & light weight/small size, I'd still go for the Suzuki SV.

Doh! Bummer no choices in 400. I really do not think I can handle 650. Bike need someone to hold it up and if its way 3 times as me, 30kg difference is huge there.

I started out with single 4cycle Honda RS250, then Yamaha VZ250, then to Kawasaki KZ, 2 cycle 250. While my favorite one was tweaked out honda's 2cycle 125 which I used to race. I just slapped the license plate and rode as street bike. Since riding it in Japan is stop and go at every couple of lights, I LOOVED doing "eat my dust" at every stop signal :) Watching guys frustrated not able to beat me was so precious....... (evil Rika) Tweaked out 2 cycle is quite quick in first 25 yards even its 125cc.

Anyhow... I can not imagzine I am riding 650 at all :( Power would be awsome to feel but too much for me when something happens and I need to control quick.

Carlos: "High speed wobbles, terrible brake fade and frame flex around & out of every turn." wow, that sounds horrible! I hate high speed wobbles.

Kimberkid: " they start whining real hard around 55 mph." excatly.. that's why I wanted to avoid 250 since riding it in the US is so about highway.

The reason for onroad bike is, I want to have my feet (or at least toes) reach. I'm pretty sure even 250, I need to modify the seat.

Ok, choices seems like easier than I thought.... now which color I should pick!

(hmmm, did I throw away that nice red riding boots?????) DOH!

Edited by Rikarin

Doh! Bummer no choices in 400. I really do not think I can handle 650. Bike need someone to hold it up and if its way 3 times as me, 30kg difference is huge there.

Anyhow... I can not imagzine I am riding 650 at all :( Power would be awsome to feel but too much for me when something happens and I need to control quick.

I still think you should take a look at theSV650. Weight is 363lbs (165kg), seat height is 31.5" (800mm) and the engine has about 70hp. The nice thing is...if you tip it over, you won't be faced with expensive plastic to fix.

My girlfriend rides a GSXR1000, is 5'8" and has no trouble with that....so I think you'd do fine with a 650cc bike like the SV.

Rika,

A couple of things to consider about the SV 650 is that it is not much bigger than the 400 cc bikes you are talking about. Weight wise it is on par and it rides much smaller than you would think. Secondly there is a large aftermarket support structure in place for these bikes which means if you need modifications for your heght and weght they will be much easier to come by. I have a friend about your size 5'3" and 110 lbs. She has one which was lowered front and rear with readily available aftermarket components and she loves it.

Good luck, Craig

Rika,

A couple of things to consider about the SV 650 is that it is not much bigger than the 400 cc bikes you are talking about. Weight wise it is on par and it rides much smaller than you would think. Secondly there is a large aftermarket support structure in place for these bikes which means if you need modifications for your heght and weght they will be much easier to come by. I have a friend about your size 5'3" and 110 lbs. She has one which was lowered front and rear with readily available aftermarket components and she loves it.

Good luck, Craig

Ooooh, is that so???? Lowered front and rear? Huh? She got smaller wheel? Suspension mods?

Ok, I will without doubt will try out sv650 too. I am too old to ride "veteran" bikes. Newer bikes with good suspension is necessary.

Thanks! I would never even considered 650 without your guys input.

• 2 weeks later...

Report:

Ok, there's NOOOOO way I can handle SV650. Its the monster. Maybe I am conservetive but since I have crash experience many many time, ability to control when I go "f*&k" is so important. Bummer. I am reading up Ninja250R and found out its only cosmetically changed since 1999.

Edited by Rikarin

Rika,

Go to the Harley dealer and look at the Sportsters especially the 883L (Lowered)

http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2006...elsection=specs

They aren't as light as they used to be, but the weight is carried very low and the bike is very narrow which makes it feel even lighter.

They aren't cheap, but the resale value is very high. I had an '87 883 that I rode 70K miles in 8 years. I sold it for $1,500 more than I paid for it new.

post-1467-1133293424_thumb.jpg

Nolan

Remember go as fast as possible and take all unnecessary chances

WOW Nolan, that's an investment=asset, not riablity for gods sake!! :) Smart guy you are!

But but but I can not see myself riding Harley... I have been sprots bike girl for life :( I can not even find the handle bar without my tummy parallel to the tank :ph34r:

Rika,

Go to the Harley dealer and look at the Sportsters especially the 883L (Lowered)

http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2006...elsection=specs

They aren't as light as they used to be, but the weight is carried very low and the bike is very narrow which makes it feel even lighter.

They aren't cheap, but the resale value is very high. I had an '87 883 that I rode 70K miles in 8 years. I sold it for $1,500 more than I paid for it new.

post-1467-1133293424_thumb.jpg

Nolan

Remember go as fast as possible and take all unnecessary chances

Zak Smith used to ride a CB1 and can tell you about them... cool bike. 400cc's are rare in the US, but if you keep you're eyes peeled on southbayriders, craigslist, and BARF, gems do show up. I saw VFR250 and VFR400's for sale. FZR400, ZXR400, all cool stuff.

atek3