Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 minor, win 231, 135gn coated bullets data

Bakerjd

Ok so I've googled and read and maybe I'm justing missing a key word or not sure what I'm looking at/for. 

I have been using 3.4gn of TG with mixed brass, mixed primers, 135gn round nose DG coated bullets, average 1.130 OAL. PF is 132-134 depending on where I'm shooting. Solid load but....

I have been itching to try out a load with win 231 with this setup. I've heard lots of good about it. So I am wondering if anyone has a good starting load i can test. 

Much thanks, and feel free to tell me i totally missed the google search. I have been known to do that. 

Baker - For the last 8+ years I have been loading 3.5gr. of 231 under a 124gr. FMJ with a COAL of 1.10” (range processed brass ith mixed headstamps) and it cycles in every 9mm pistol and PPC I shoot (six different pistols and three PPC’s)….I recently (3 months ago) started loading the Precision Delta 124Gr JHP sing the exact same load of 3.5gr of 231 with a COAL of 1.90” and this has run flawless in three pistols and one PPC (just have not had time to try it in my other PPC’s or pistols yet)…..

I know this is not exactly what info you are looking for but wanted to share this load with you because it meters great, cycles perfectly, and is definitely in that minor power factor range…I use this round for all of my steel challenge practice and matches…Mark 

27 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Baker - For the last 8+ years I have been loading 3.5gr. of 231 under a 124gr. FMJ with a COAL of 1.10” (range processed brass ith mixed headstamps) and it cycles in every 9mm pistol and PPC I shoot (six different pistols and three PPC’s)….I recently (3 months ago) started loading the Precision Delta 124Gr JHP sing the exact same load of 3.5gr of 231 with a COAL of 1.90” and this has run flawless in three pistols and one PPC (just have not had time to try it in my other PPC’s or pistols yet)…..

I know this is not exactly what info you are looking for but wanted to share this load with you because it meters great, cycles perfectly, and is definitely in that minor power factor range…I use this round for all of my steel challenge practice and matches…Mark 

Light load, I was running 4.0 to 4.2 of 231.

Yes Sir - It is but for Steel Challenge I wanted something that would cycle 100% and that Ms. Sigarmsp226 could shoot and enjoy…Guessing we have shot north of 50k rounds of the the FMJ one with out any issues (occasional FTF or FTE but it was usually because of a dirty gun or poor magazine management)…..Mark

Name: **** 9mm: 124gr Xtreme RN: Win 231 4.35gr: Mix Case: OAL 1.145
Notes: Para 1911 5"

Shots: 10
Average: 1089 ft/s
SD: 8 ft/s
Min: 1076 ft/s
Max: 1102 ft/s

Spread: 26 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 135
Power Factor Low: 133
Power Factor High: 136

Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 62 F

Weight: 124.0 gr.
Powder: Win 231 / 4.35
Case: Mixed
Bullet: 124
Gun: Para

My load for 135s with 231 has been 4.0 for years. (I have tested that same bullet at 3.4gr, 3.7gr, 4.0 and 4.3)

In a 5" gun I get 875 or so averages. 

In my 6" 1911 it clocks 1009 average, 

Very soft shooting!

Very accurate.

I shot thousands of Bayou 135RN for many years.

Lately I shoot a friend's 135RN that are powder coated. 

I feel that's the best bullet weight out there for 9mm minor.

Many thanks all. I'm gonna switch out the titegroup and put some 231 in the hopper here soon to try out. Going to start with 4.0gn and see what it shoots like. I need at least a 134pf in my SS to make sure it makes minor in the girlfriends P320. Hers seems to be a slight bit lower then my 1911. She usually gets 128 when I get 134.