Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9major Hardy Shooters Sound Off

ktyler

Greetings fellow Mongoose shooters,

I am looking to see what you all have tried and are currently shooting. I have been using True Blue and have tried Power Pistol. I am looking for something cleaner and with less of pressure spike than TB. I am also to cheap to purchase Vitv.

After shooting a friends open gun I realized how much dot movement I was having. Now startes the quest for a better powder.

Sound off with your experience and reasons why you like one over the other.

Also, have any of you tired a recoil master in your gun? curious if they work well or not.

Ktyler

Well,

I've tried:

HS6 .. Not bad, but a little dirty

HS7 .. Temp sensitive, inconsistent, and really dirty. Also seems to not be produced anymore

True Blue .. Seemed ok, but I had to go .5 grain more than others had, and I had concerns about the pressure spike that others noted.

3N38 .. Pricy, and had a huge fireball out of the Comp

Stayed away from 3N37 due to JL's concerns about flame temperature.

SP2 .. Works well, but negatives are that it tends to jam the Powder measure, and the fact that it's supply is limited.

Ones that really did not work at all:

WSF.. Velocity did not increase at a point when adding powder.. stopped RIGHT there

4756 You just can't get enough powder in the case to make major.

All that said, I'm using SP2 right now, my second choice would be HS6.

Take a look at the GREAT thread that 9Major-Caspian started, http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12740 and know that you may have to go a couple of tenths one way or the other. I have 2 Hardy Mongooses (Mongeese?) and they chrono differently.

One more thread to look at is a poll as to what people are using for 9mm major, http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29351

Brian, See me at a match and I can Give ya an earfull :), I'll be a Cherokee this weekend!

Ktyler. I may be incorrect, but I don't think they make a recoil master for a Commander Slide, so that is a moot point. JL recommends a 9 lb Wolff Variable recoil spring.

Carl

Edited by Carl

• 1 month later...

I also think HS6 is too dirty, but it sure works well in my gun. I tried every load combination you can think of 3N38, N350, HS6, 3N37, N105, IMR 7625 and SP2.

SP2 was the best overall powder, but not as soft as IMR 7625. IMR 7625 is a pain in 9mm “major” because the case is SO full, but it shoots REALLY nice. I was shooting HS6 but just switched back to N350. I wish I could find some SP2… :(:(:(

So far so good, I have only but 600 rounds or so through mine. Been working up a match load with HS-6 with Zero 125's has not been excessively dirty for me. Haven't shot mine in a match yet but that's soon to change next weekend.

Haven't shot mine in a match yet but that's soon to change next weekend.

See ya at Cherokee! Hope it's not going to be as cold as it is THIS weekend! ( ok I know it's Georgia cold :) )

Carl

Want to avoid too much thread drift here, but I shot the Griffin Steel Match Saturday afternoon and it turned out to be a decent day weather wise and it was a great match to boot. I shot Winchester White Box and had no issues with function in my Hardy gun. I probably could have stayed with the 9 pound spring I run for major loads, but ended up cutting back an ISMI 6 pound spring. Probably could have played around with different springs or loads and had a better combination, but I figured there's only so much that can be done with an open gun primarily designed for major loads as opposed to a gun specifically built for Steel Challenge type shooting.

Edited by cpty1

Chris,

I usually get about 1 in 30 of the winchester white box to hang in the ejection port with the 9 lb spring. I was thinking the lighter spring would solve this issue your experience seems to confirm this.

I only shot 500 to 600 rounds of the WWB including the match, so that may not be a big enough sampling to say the combination is 100% reliable long term, but it was 100% for me and the number of rounds I fired.

• 6 months later...

I know a lot of folks have complaints about the Vhit powders as far as price goes but in a lot of respects they are worth it. The thing that turned the corner for me was actually breaking down the prices. I realize the charge weights may change by a couple of tenths, but over a few thousand rounds I think 8 grains would be a fair comparison. Here's an example:

Ramshot Silhouette priced at Powder valley in 4lb containers would run you right at 1.4 cents per round assuming an 8gr powder charge.

Vhit 3n38 which I believe one of JL's recommends is only 2 cents per round for the same charge weight. (PV prices as well)

What this amounts to over 10k rds in a year is sixty dollars. I realize that is a fair chunk of money, however given that you are shooting open and spent the money on the gun and equipment in order to be on the cutting edge of the sport it didn't make sense to me to scrimp on the cheapest component in the reloading scheme.

Good luck, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

• 2 years later...

Hardy 4.5 and silhouette 9 major load? (merged thread)

i have a mongoose 4.5 barrel with 2 holes it seems like i am gonna need 8.1-8.2 to make major using mg 121 gr and hardy rec 1.150 oal..seems like a lot of powder,,anyone out there shooting one of these critters..i am using fed sm rifle and they seem to flatten even with my 5"sv at less powder, i think that is due to it being a soft primer,,mostly my concern is powder charge,,any other rec?

Edited by Flexmoney
Merged threads

i have a mongoose 4.5 barrel with 2 holes it seems like i am gonna need 8.1-8.2 to make major using mg 121 gr and hardy rec 1.150 oal..seems like a lot of powder,,anyone out there shooting one of these critters..i am using fed sm rifle and they seem to flatten even with my 5"sv at less powder, i think that is due to it being a soft primer,,mostly my concern is powder charge,,any other rec?

I go lower than that... start at 7.2 or .4 and go up a .2 steps

I make major with 115 at 8.2 and I know some others that make it at 7.6 or .8 with 115s

I'd like to see that OAL longer too. If you run it that short you are really going to have to watch for pressure. I think minimum of 1.165 for 9 Open, but I'm not an expert.

Edited by JThompson

Just an FYI, I have experienced a big difference between lots of Shilouette shooting Zero 125's

My last can, bought in 2007, only needed 7.0 to make 165 in my new 5" 3 port hybrid. My new can bought 4 months ago is taking 7.6 for the same pf.

My previous gun with a 4 port hybrid used 8.0 of the old keg to make 172 but that same ammo is 182pf out of the new gun.

Lots of variables.

I'd say start around 7 and chrono as you go.

Edited by TMC

i did 7.9 yesterday at 1345 fps and 166 pf,,i guess 8.0 will work, but with altitude and temp 8.1-.2 will be the #,,slight flattening no more then other stuff,,my sv 5" will do a 172 pf at 7.8 with the same oal and bullet,,but these tests are with 124 mg jhp,,i have a case of the 121's..