Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cooper Tunnels

JFD

I voted "Hate 'Em", but I confess I've never shot in a proper CT.

The one experience I had with one was made from freight pallets. I seem to remember they were screwed together (don't do this!). More than one person stood up too soon (mostly those short little Gumby-people) and whacked their heads pretty bad. One guy on our squad hit it so hard he was basically out on his feet, staggering back and forth in a daze with a loaded blaster in his hand. Once we got his gun away from him we were able to stop the bleeding and recommend an x-ray.

I realize this wouldn't have happened if the slats were made to just fall off as intended, but I also hate having to get my entire self (6'2", 290) down that far if shorter people don't have to put the same effort into it.

Just my bitchy 2 cents....

They had a Cooper Tunnel at the Area 6 3 gun match last weekend. No one in my squad said anything negative about it to my recollection. No one knocked off any sticks either though.

I personnally don't see any problems using them. It is just another challenge that makes this sport what it is, different every time you go to a match!

Iam With You JFD. Been There. Done That, Seen to much unsafe stuff for me to EVER run one again, just not worth the potentional problem. IMHO I would set it up to move through it WITHOUT a Gun,

I suppose all the current shooters deem the Cooper Tunnel unsafe along with all the other things that we used to do...ie: weak hand draw from the strong side holster, weak hand only reload, vaulting over a 6' wall, etc...learning how to negotiate the CT is about the same as learning a speed load technique...you don;t have to tear an ACL doing it.... :P

I realize this wouldn't have happened if the slats were made to just fall off as intended, but I also hate having to get my entire self (6'2", 290) down that far if shorter people don't have to put the same effort into it.

hehehe...makes up for those stages where us vertically challenged folks get gigged.... :D

IMHO it's just another challenge that makes our sport interesting. I'm fairly tall (6' 2" ) but don't have a problem running them. Bottom line is that there will always be props that are a benefit to either tall or short competitors.

Cooper tunnels suck in my opinion, i just feel others have moved through them a lot faster than me. however at the circleville match last weekend. i noticed it really sucks to be 4' tall and have walls which the 2 talll match directors didn't even think about. (next time we will get a short person to help diagnose problems)

• 1 month later...

Taller shooters usually don't like them as they feel they're at a disadvantage. Shorter shooters usually like them because they feel they have an advantage.

My experience as a RO, watching a LOT of shooters, is that how well you shoot a stage with a cooper tunnel has more to do with overall shooting ability than your size.

Unless you convince yourself that you will have a problem with the CT. :D