Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First AK47?

lfine

One category I’ve never known much about is AK47s. Thinking of picking up one because things might change soon and looking for a good recommendation. Just general range/fun/home defense use. Not for competition. Would like under $1000 but could go to $1500 if I had to. I realize this is a really open question. Any help is appreciated! 

Best available imports are the Bulgarian models sold by Arsenal.  But, like anything gun-related these days, they're few and far between.  So, if you do find a decent one, expect to pay top dollar.  For domestic sources, there's Rifle Dynamics, Krebs and Kalishnikov USA.  

Lots of differences when you start looking at parts they are built with. And unlike the AR changing gas blocks and front sights are difficult and the desirable imported part are $$$. Arsenal and Zastava are both still imported and good guns. Looking at the chinese and Russian guns that had been banned from importation have increased in value due to availably. Banning the importation of foreign weapons is something the current admin could do by executive order and in part why these two brands have become scarce. If you keep an eye out at atlantic firearms they do come in stock and sell out quick. I think people are just buying them and relisting on GB for more. 

14 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Best available imports are the Bulgarian models sold by Arsenal.  But, like anything gun-related these days, they're few and far between.  So, if you do find a decent one, expect to pay top dollar.  For domestic sources, there's Rifle Dynamics, Krebs and Kalishnikov USA.  

I'll have to say I own an arsenal with a milled received and the quality is top notch.  

last year i picked up an Arsenal Sam7SF with the 24mm ak74 style comp for i think $1700, wish i'd bought a couple years ago but it's an extremely smooth shooting gun.  i've got plenty of x39 ammo so it's looking like an AK kind of year for both 3gun and rifle matches.  I don't find it overly heavy but it is noticeably heavier than a stamped gun, i find it nicely balanced still however. No regrets.  I am curious about the stamped Kalashnikov USA kr103

With the  current prices on AK imports, best value and quality is the Zastava ZPAP M70.

If you are going to spend $1,700 on a Bulgarian milled receiver AK, may as well look at the Galil ACE in 7.62x39 as well.

Edited by MickB

I love destructive devices AKs. I did a ton of research on all the little nuances of some of the top level builders and they really put out a quality AK. The way they fit the trunnions and fit the barrel are fantastic. I can’t seem to find one in the right price range that I want but I’m still looking. 

check them out. 

Thanks for the tip on Carolina.  As I've been looking, and slowly increasing my budget, even the higher priced ones are extremely hard to find. Just saw an Iraqi contractor bring back WASR 10 going for $1500.  Prices are getting a bit high, I think, still I'm tempted.  Searching continues.

Of course, I could go with an Arsenal AK47 SLR107-51 KRINKOV for $2K, but not really what I started off looking for. If I wanted an SBR, looks perfect.  Maybe the SAM7SF-84 might be the one, like David says above.The Galil isn't quite what I'm looking for. Any thoughts?

Edited by lfine
add copy

• 2 months later...

If you can swing it an arsenal SAM7 is the way to go, I recently picked up the K-44 and it is an amazing AK. I am still waiting for my grail AK to get back from 2 rivers arms, I was able to find a really clean SA-93 thats getting de-neutered right now.