Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire compensators...

mniels

So, this is bound to be contentious, but I am going to throw it out there anyway.

I am looking at adding a comp to my Buck Mark Vision Pro (used exclusively for SC.)  I have never comped a 22, and I want to give it a try to see what it is like.  They are also relatively inexpensive, so I see it as a win/win.

So far I have it narrowed down to the Carolina Crusher from Wiland, the Steve Foster Falcon 22, the Game Changer Pro from Tandemkross, and the Trail-Lite by TacSol.

If anyone has experience with one or more of these, I would appreciate the input.  And for those of you who do not agree with comping a competition .22, go ahead and talk me out of it.

Let the games begine!

I have had this discussion with myself a lot about my son’s steel challenge pistol. I know that I go through great lengths to do things to minimize buildup on my wife and my open guns because I hate cleaning the friggin comp so much. I know comp design seems to be super important for open guns so I can’t believe that the teeny amount of gas from that teeny little cartridge can possibly do anything.  I don’t really want to clean his comp too especially if it doesn’t do anything, so I haven’t put one on yet. 🤔

I spoke with Volquartsen a while ago about mounting one of the comps they make for their uppers for Ruger 22's on my smith 41 and was told it would work.  The reason i was looking at those is they designed the comp to be able to be cleaned easily and make a tool for it.  I'm still waiting for a response back about having the part adapted, but that might also be worth a look.

Adam

For me, a compensator must flatten the pistol.  So things like most of the Volquartsens and the Trail-Lite are no go.  The do increase noise, but they also increase felt recoil.  I have the TK and don't care for it much.  The most effective compensators I've tried on my custom Buckmark are a MadMaxx Tactical and the original 2-port comp from CWA (no longer available).

Of the four you mention the only one I would consider is the Falcon 22.  I would prefer it without side ports to maximize the flattening effect.

I now have the Carolina Crusher on my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite.  I can see the dot stay on target better and others on the range have commented on how much gas they see coming from the compensator.  It's also the easiest comp I have to clean.  

I have a CWA pistol with Chet's two port comp. Dot never leaves the screen. Love the gun and the comp but not the lead buildup in the comp. My solution for lead buildup is to use Frog Lube green paste regularly and liberally. Makes the lead buildup way less and clean-up a lot easier. First match I shot with the gun the RO commented about fire coming from the comp. I just smiled.

Whichever comp you get my advice is, before shooting the comp, coat the inside liberally with a good cleaner/lube to season the comp.