Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Division Magazine Pads

Gary Stevens

Thanks much to Tony Hawkins for providing me an IPSC box to play with. A bit of information for those interested. I have found that a magazine with the long Wilson base pad will not fit in the box without some surgery being done on the forward part of the base pad. The standard Wilson basepads do fit without any problem.

Gary

Thanks much to Tony Hawkins for providing me an IPSC box to play with. A bit of information for those interested. I have found that a magazine with the long Wilson base pad will not fit in the box without some surgery being done on the forward part of the base pad. The standard Wilson basepads do fit without any problem.

Gary

Now I'm worried. I have a bunch of 47D's that I use for carry and comp. Is that what you're talking about?

Can you post a pic of the offending appendage?

The 1911 Society's Single Stack Classic has generally allowed any thickness of magazine pad as long as the rest of the magazine fits flush in a full-size 1911. Since Wilson 8-rounders have been one of the most reliable single-stack magazines, it would be most inconventient if the wide base pad version is now verbotten. Is it at all possible that the thickness of the magazine pad could be exempted from the box requirement?

Its only function is to reduce stress injuries while seating magazines. This is kind of like the IDPA no-knee-pad rule: you must hurt yourself!

Yes Sir Tony it was very nice. You could propably market a few of those for match use.

Thank you very much for the effort you put into it.

The basepads are easily changed on the Wilson mags. I think 3 pads cost about 6.95, so I am going to be out less than 15 bucks to switch mine over. Not that bad in IPSC/USPSA monetary terms.

Unfortunately the rules are set for the test period. It would take a BOD action to change them, and I don't want to venture into those waters again at this time :ph34r:

Part of trying anything new is making mistakes and learning from them. If fully adopted these areas will be addressed.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

I really don't intend this to be a smart A$$ reply, but didn't you read the answers to those the first 50 or so times I explained them?

If not, contact me at my local address garystevens@alltel.net and I'll answer any questions you have without starting another TFH on the forum.

Your welcome Flex :D

Gary

The IPSC box measures 8 3/4 x 5 7/8 x 1 3/4.

Measure your pistol with the mag inserted. If you are less than 5 3/4 from the top of the rear sight to the farthest point on the bottom of the mag you should be ok.

The IPSC box is 1/8 inch shorter than the IDPA box.

Hope this helps.

The basepads are easily changed on the Wilson mags. I think 3 pads cost about 6.95, so I am going to be out less than 15 bucks to switch mine over. Not that bad in IPSC/USPSA monetary terms.

Unfortunately the rules are set for the test period. It would take a BOD action to change them, and I don't want to venture into those waters again at this time :ph34r:

Part of trying anything new is making mistakes and learning from them. If fully adopted these areas will be addressed.

Gary, you finally outsmarted yourself! ;-)

I may try my .38 Super gun with 10-rounds of minor, partly because I fitted the barrel myself. I will have the opposite problem, because the mags are not yet drilled for base pad screws and my favorite "in the box" base pads require screws. I tried them without base pads at one of the Single Stack Classics and had several cuts on my left hand by the end of the 250+ round match.

• 1 month later...

Gary

Is there going to be a box used at the Single Stack Classic? I really hope not, because this match has been going on for 11+ years, and as others have said, draws shooters from many disciplines, who might not necessarily care that USPSA has their "fingers in the pie" now, nor that a "box" is going to outlaw mags that they have been using for over a decade.

This is not an issue of it only costing $7 to replace pads. There is a thread on 1911 Forum that stated tungsten guide rods not being allowed. These are specifically allowed by the 1911 Society. I think if USPSA is going to change up 1911 Society standing rules and practices, be prepared for a firestorm come April 28-29. I'll bring my shorter pads, and I'll play by the rules, mostly because I read these forums. Will everyone that shoots the SSC? Doubtful. Just food for thought.

PS: The 1911 Society has not updated their rules or FAQ page to reflect any changes to their match.

Edited by OPENB

Has anybody measured the Tripp mags yet?

It seemed like a lot of people were sending their Trojans to him for reliability work and were using his mags.

I've only got his 10 round .40 mags, so I can't - the 10 round .40 mags are 140mm and are a good 1/4" too long, at least...

I did read them. That appears to be the problem. Which rules is the match going to follow, the published rules that the SSC has used for a decade, that specifies a gun fit in a box WITHOUT the magazine, and tungsten guide rods are allowed, or the USPSA SS division rules that says we use a box WITH a mag in the gun, and no heavier-than-steel guide rods? USPSA and the 1911 Society need to agree to one set of rules, and get them to the shooters BEFORE April. You quoted both sets of rules in your last post, with the Society's box AND USPSA's rule on guide rods. Anyone else confused on who is running this match?

I am referring strictly to the Single Stack Classic, not to the SS Division, which is USPSA's baby, and a great one in my opinion. This match has always been autonomous, not IDPA, not USPSA. When I shoot SS Division, I will follow USPSA's published rules.

OpenB it is on the entry form:

Dates: April 27th - April 30th (April 27th for staff shooting. April 30th is for weather make-up if needed.)

Capacity: 220 Competitors (110 Each Day)

Stages: 12 Challenging Courses

Entry Fee: $115.00 for Current 1911 Society Members

$130.00 for Non-Members

$165.00 Non-USPSA Member (Includes 1st year membership.)

(Entry fee includesBuffet Lunch)

Entries Accepted on a first come, first serve basis!

Entry Deadline: April 10th, 2006

Full Refund for withdrawal if written & signed request received before April 10th,2006. No refund after that - No exceptions!

Rules: USPSA Provisional Single Stack Rules Apply. (Emphasis Added)

Alan

Edited by 9Major-Caspian

Other than the pistol must fit the IPSC box WITH the mag, and no weighted guide rods. I am not seeing any other significant changes.

FWIW: I think this is a very good joining of USPSA and SA's SSC.

If you have a problem with any part of the SSD/SSC match you should talk to both organizations and get their take on it.

Good reply Alan. That pretty much answers his question.

Sorry for the "drift". I'm done.

Mods, you can clear my posts if you think you need to.

Edited by Caspian_45