Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Value of Optic Window Height vs Width

Michael303

I'm curious what everyone thinks the is the more important optic window dimension.  Height or width?

I've been running the SRO on my CO gun for quite a while now and I'm not unhappy with it but I was thinking about trying the Romeo1Pro for a while just for s#!ts and giggles.  The SRO window is 22.61 x 24.89 mm where as the R1P is 18 x 28 mm.  That makes the R1P about 12% wider but about 20% shorter than the SRO.

I prefer a taller window.  Started carry optics years ago with a vortex venom, it was wide and short.  Switched to a FF3 which was narrower but taller.

When I started out it seemed that my aim was usually low, left or right didn’t seem to be a problem.  After a bunch of practice and a year of matches the dot is in the center of the glass.  This will come as you practice drawing and getting muscle memory built.

Now I use a DPP.

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

If you dry fire more the size of the window won't matter.

The optics on the top five shooters guns at CO nats were Romeo 3 Max, DPP, SRO, SRO, SRO so I suppose I'm not totally convinced that window size is irrelevant. 

What optic do you use?

21 hours ago, Michael303 said:

I'm curious what everyone thinks the is the more important optic window dimension.  Height or width?

I've been running the SRO on my CO gun for quite a while now and I'm not unhappy with it but I was thinking about trying the Romeo1Pro for a while just for s#!ts and giggles.  The SRO window is 22.61 x 24.89 mm where as the R1P is 18 x 28 mm.  That makes the R1P about 12% wider but about 20% shorter than the SRO.

The nearly round geometry of the SRO's window is IMO what makes it superior to just about anything that has a more rectangular window even if the SRO doesn't have the absolute largest lens area. 

Shoot from oddball positions, deep squats, leans, and even upside down prone (as I had to in an IDPA match) and you'll see why.

4 hours ago, zombywoof said:

If you dry fire more the size of the window won't matter.

Window size beyond a certain point doesn’t really matter for normal shooting, but it makes a large difference for awkward shooting positions and one handed shooting. 

5 hours ago, Michael303 said:

The optics on the top five shooters guns at CO nats were Romeo 3 Max, DPP, SRO, SRO, SRO so I suppose I'm not totally convinced that window size is irrelevant. 

What optic do you use?

CO Gen1 DP, Venom

Open RTS2, DPP

size doesn't matter LOL, or so I tell the wife