Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talon Grips on Glocks

Flea

After thoroughly degreasing the grip I've had a Talon on a gen 3 G17 beater gun for nearly 2 years so far with one of the front strap pieces coming off with the way I used to grip that area of the frame. I've read and seen tape staying for up to 10 years, but if you practice frequently you're going to want to either replace it or dedicate a toothbrush to cleaning the skin off which becomes really nasty and smells bad.

I've come to prefer just the gen 4/5 texture and just applying a decent amount of grip lotion. Easier to clean off and I don't have to mess with adhesives.

I’ve had talon grip on my EDC G17 for over a year. No signs of delamination yet. I carry AIWB daily. 

it does absorb some odor. Soap and water takes care of that easily enough

I was skeptical about talon grips being better than skateboard tape. It is better. 

• 1 year later...

I have Talon Grips on over 3 years on 4 different guns with no signs that any have to be replaced. Like already said take the time to perform GOOD prep when installing. i love Talon Grips! 

• 2 months later...

I used the granulate grips on my duty G17 for approximately 1 year.

Take this with a grain of salt: the grips took some abuse from work (daily OWB carry, rubbing against cruiser arm rest, scraping on the ground, etc…). I only saw a year out of them before they got so marred up I had to take them off. I have since put new ones on and will continue the cycle as I think they are very good at doing their job.

I fully endorse talons and I use them on most of my personal guns, their life seems to hold up great for personal EDC though.

I’ll can say that even with near zero prep, mine had lasted on my match gun for a year. There’s one small spot on a corner where it shifted slightly. Not enough to really make me want to replace it and it hasn’t moved since. Little bit of fraying by the magwell from handling. I’d be happy to continue using talon grips. 

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure to use some scissors to round off any corners of the grip tape. It creates more surface area and doesn’t peel up as easily.  

Make sure to degrease the grip and let dry before application.  Also, hit the grips with a hair dryer to melt the glue into every crease and hold them down as they dry/set.  

4 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

Make sure to degrease the grip and let dry before application.  Also, hit the grips with a hair dryer to melt the glue into every crease and hold them down as they dry/set.  

All steps I wish I did hahaha. But even so, still going strong. Just doubt I’ll get the life as others do because of it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Talon grips add girth to the grip size. Just something to consider. 

I peeled mine off after a year and man they were really stuck on there. I shaved my grip down and ended up epoxy gluing carbide. The carbide is a pretty permanent option though and I new I’d like it thanks to the talon grips. 

My next race gun will probably just get shaved down and I’ll add grip tape in key areas. The carbide is all over and a bit much when trying to manipulate the gun. Also I’ll never carbide the finger guard again it just rips my finger open. It works, but it’s rough. I’ll probably add some sort of hockey tape here in the future. 

• 5 months later...

i know i this tread has been dead for a while...but i wanted to see if anyone has had varying results with different grips/polymer material.

i have had no issues with talons on my p10 and glocks with heavy use but i am having issues with them sliding around on my canik rival polymer frames

i am thoroughly degreasing the frame and using a heat gun for each install.

one of my goals this year is to increase my weak hand grip pressure and position so i also wonder if that has something to do with it. i am putting a lot of pressure on the left back side of the grip which is where the grip is sliding forward. 

maybe i just wasnt gripping hard enough with other guns to cause an issue. 

any thoughts? im considering silicon carbide for my rival grips now 😕

Edited by dsmarty386

12 hours ago, dsmarty386 said:

one of my goals this year is to increase my weak hand grip pressure and position so i also wonder if that has something to do with it. i am putting a lot of pressure on the left back side of the grip which is where the grip is sliding forward. 

You may try building up a ridge with epoxy and silicon carbide where your support hand can ride on.  

Edited by BoyGlock

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 10:03 PM, BoyGlock said:

You may try building up a ridge with epoxy and silicon carbide where your support hand can ride on.  

that looks like it would help my situation a lot! still waffling on the silicon carbide because i may want to sell the rivals one day...but if i do ill try this