Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I've got some Dillon 750 setup issues. Any idea?

Nope, removed the primer parts, the cam parts, the case feeder parts, even the linkage, the main shaft still won't go all the way up.

I need to take off the part the shell plate screws into and see if the main shaft will drop out.

a mechanical stop.

is anything stopping the case pusher?

that is about the only thing in motion about there

I'd look at the underside of the bottom of press and see if there is

an odd or end hanging up the main shaft.

miranda

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

I think I would call Dillon and let them know. Might cause issues some day?

About my jr high school girlfriend? She's long gone :)

Edited by ysrracer

5 minutes ago, blsfan50 said:

I have an issue somewhere in my setup as well. XL750 reloading 9MM. About 30-40% of my reloads are failing case gauge and I cant figure out where. 

You’re going to need to give us every bit of information you can think of regarding dies used, bullet, brass, OAL, case gauge type, and the like.

Do the failed rounds cause a problem when you drop them into your gun’s barrel and attempt to plunk and spin them? Or do they fail that as well?

Just now, MemphisMechanic said:

You’re going to need to give us every bit of information you can think of regarding dies used, bullet, brass, OAL, case gauge type, and the like.

Do the failed rounds cause a problem when you drop them into your gun’s barrel and attempt to plunk and spin them? Or do they fail that as well?

At work right this moment but i can get all that info thisevening. I have everything written down in a notebook i use for reloading data. And I run a PTR MP5 and they wont even chamber at all.

5 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I use dillon dies, everglades ammo 124 grn bullets (both fmj and jhp)(only recently started failing), fmj oal - 1.15 jhp oal 1.10, range brass thats been cleaned and lubed, and the dillion 100 round case gauge

19 hours ago, Sarge said:

I think I would call Dillon and let them know. Might cause issues some day?

I spoke to Dillon today, and they wanted me to send in a picture. Not sure what they're going to do with a 50 year old picture of Marybeth Borry, but I sent it in anyhow :)

@blsfan50 the “wasp waist” or “coke bottle” shape to your rounds is not your problem, and is normal for ammunition produced with many brands of 9mm dies due to the tapered case meeting a straight-walled die.

(Search those two terms for previous topics covering this.)

Your case gauging problems lie elsewhere?

Again, how many of your gauge-failing round plunk into a fieldstripped handgun’s barrel, spin freely, and fall out when inverted?

9 hours ago, blsfan50 said:

This is what they are coming out as, standard width on the base, thin mid section and you can see the bullet base.

20201207_084258.jpg

That scratch on the case mouth can be the reason for failing the case gauge. Try to remove the flare as much as you can but not crimp too much. Shoot for around .378” on the case mouth and go from there. 

Do a plunk test also to make sure the OAL is appropriate for your barrel. 

What crimp die are you using?

Edited by George16
Sp

Failing "plunk test" verses "failing case guage" are two different things.

My experience is this:

1. Failing case gauge due to bulged case. The reasons range from a bullet which wasn't seated straight to a deeply seated bullet in CBC brass. Also the crimp may not be sufficient.

2. Failed "plunk test" can be all the above and because of the bullet profile the OAL is to long. Which, when seated to the correct length, can lead to bulged cases.

The photos seem to indicate the poster is not using a Dillon seating or taper crimp dies. They don't leave those kind of marks (unless Dillon has changed something recently).  

23 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I spoke to Dillon today, and they wanted me to send in a picture. Not sure what they're going to do with a 50 year old picture of Marybeth Borry, but I sent it in anyhow :)

Did you ever get it figured out ?

post the photo or she didn't happen...

your ammo looks like it is hitting the lands.

ain't gunna plunk,spin, or fall out.

make sure your case gauge is right side up.

the only girl I remember from Jr High

was renown for purple shorts under her short black dress.

so paint the bottom purple.

😄

miranda