Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Rankings for the Top 10 Shooters in Each Division

Tanders

Since there isn't really any ranking system for USPSA (aside from the Top 20 classifier averages, which are kinda meaningless), I thought it would be fun to put together a top 10 list for the more popular divisions based on recent nationals performances over the past few years. All of these lists were painstakingly compiled from data derived via the highly scientific methods of skimming through nationals results and pulling numbers out of my butt. These rankings are extremely subjective and solely based on my own opinions, so I encourage you to post your own lists below if you disagree with any of the orders or feel that I left anyone out, but try to stick to the following guidelines:

1.) Post an entire top 10 list for the divisions you care about, not just general comments about how I'm crazy for not placing a certain shooter higher/lower on the list.

2.) All shooters included in each division need to have shot at least two national championships in that division in 2018, 2019, or 2020.

3.) These aren't meant to be "Greatest of All Time" lists. Rankings should be based on USPSA nationals or area match performances in 2018, 2019, or 2020 (not IPSC matches).

4.) Feel free to include foreign competitors, but guidelines 2 and 3 still apply.

5.) Don't trash me, any competitors you are referencing, or anyone else with whom you disagree. It would be fun if we could keep this thread going for awhile and not have it get locked.

Here are my picks for top 10 in each division. I left out L10 because it doesn't have a dedicated following at the national level the way the other divisions do and I only have 7 entries in the PCC list since it was challenging to find 10 top competitors who showed up consistently for PCC nationals in 2018, 2019, and 2020 (a lot of the talent is made up of 3-gunners who decided to slum it in USPSA one time since there were no good multi-gun matches to shoot). Also, Carry Optics was really hard to rank past the top 5 since it's a relatively new division that hasn't had very many pro shooters settle into it yet.  Take a look and then start posting your own rankings!

PRODUCTION

1.) Ben Stoeger

2.) Jacob Hetherington

3.) Mason Lane

4.) JJ Racaza

5.) Nils Jonasson

6.) Sal Luna

7.) Casey Reed

8.) Alexandre Berdat

9.) Phil Strader

10.) Alex Gutt

OPEN

1.) Christian Sailer

2.) JJ Racaza

3.) KC Eusebio

4.) Chris Tilley

5.) Cody Baker

6.) Lesgar Murdock

7.) Andrew Hyder

8.) John Vlieger

9.) William Drummond

10.) Shannon Smith

LIMITED

1.) JJ Racaza

2.) Nils Jonasson

3.) Ben Stoeger

4.) Mason Lane

5.) Shane Coley

6.) John Browning

7.) Blake Miguez

8.) Gianni Giordano

9.) Tim Yackley

10.) Cody Axon

SINGLE STACK

1.) Nils Jonasson

2.) Elias Frangoulis

3.) Rob Leatham

4.) Blake Miguez

5.) Mike Seeklander

6.) Phil Strader

7.) Jeff Cawthon

8.) Jeremy Reid

9.) Todd Jarrett

10.) John Vlieger

CARRY OPTICS

1.) Max Michel

2.) Hwansik Kim

3.) Mason Lane

4.) KC Eusebio

5.) Jason Bradley

6.) Austin Ariss

7.) John Vlieger

8.) Luke Cao

9.) Luigi Li

10.) Justin Ferrer

(I wanted to put Nils in the top 5, but he only shot the 2019 nationals)

PCC

1.) Max Leograndis

2.) Josh Froelich

3.) Andre Desautel

4.) Zack Smith

5.) Tim Yackley

6.) Lena Miculek

7.) Todd Jarrett

REVOLVER

1.) Michael Poggie

2.) Josh Lentz

3.) Rich Wolfe

4.) Caleb Higby

5.) James McGinty

6.) David Olhasso

7.) Brian Noel

8.) Vincent Guenther

9.) Michael Burgess

10.) David Johnson

7 hours ago, Tanders said:

Since there isn't really any ranking system for USPSA (aside from the Top 20 classifier averages, which are kinda meaningless

All shooters included in each division need to have shot at least two national championships in that division in 2018, 2019, or 2020.

While i agree that the Top 20 list is only a representation of your classifier consistency within a class... how meaningful will these personally biased lists will be?  You did set forth a set of criteria that would help keep the lists less biased though, so that's good. One could do the legwork and plugin the results of those three matches into a speadsheet and come up with a hierarchical listing based on math rather than a personal opinion.  I think i agree with your breakdown for Production.  Note that i only care about that division ATM, so... i wouldn't even take a stab at the rest of them :)

5 hours ago, motosapiens said:

instead of voting, why don't we just look at the actual results from actual big matches? we could take the biggest of those matches and call it the national championship or something.

And that would totally work since the same shooters show up every single year and always shoot the exact same divisions.  Man... why didn't I think of that?

5 hours ago, waktasz said:

Pretty sure this is just a list of best looking shooters in each division. Good job bro

I factored in each shooters attractiveness index on the universal 1-10 scale before compiling the results.  However, I heard Stoeger may have gotten a haircut, so that could cause him to drop a few places the next time the rankings get updated.

5 hours ago, nasty618 said:

While i agree that the Top 20 list is only a representation of your classifier consistency within a class... how meaningful will these personally biased lists will be?  You did set forth a set of criteria that would help keep the lists less biased though, so that's good. One could do the legwork and plugin the results of those three matches into a speadsheet and come up with a hierarchical listing based on math rather than a personal opinion.  I think i agree with your breakdown for Production.  Note that i only care about that division ATM, so... i wouldn't even take a stab at the rest of them :)

The subjectivity is what makes it fun.  You could just sum the percentages for all shooters from their best two nationals in the relevant years, but that still wouldn't be completely objective since placement and match points are dependent on which top talent showed up for a given nationals and that varies from year to year.

4 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Also, I personally like to go off of last year's match!🤔.   

🤣

Are you referring to the year before you made Max Michel sweat like a whore in church because he thought you were coming to take the crown? If you beat him next year, I'm bumping you to the top.

10 minutes ago, Tanders said:

Are you referring to the year before you made Max Michel sweat like a whore in church because he thought you were coming to take the crown? If you beat him next year, I'm bumping you to the top.

Ha. I misspoke. I meant this year. 

I'm already thinking it's next year. 

Edited by B_RAD

Anyone that shoots at the Super Squad level is dangerous!  

I've participated in ranking shooters before. It can be fun. 

Though, I definitely see it from a different viewpoint now. 

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

If the component shortage hits you especially hard maybe you should start a fantasy league

I would be all over that if such a thing existed.  Seems like this sport would work really well for that.

1 hour ago, Tanders said:

I would be all over that if such a thing existed.  Seems like this sport would work really well for that.

The people that participate are nerds like that. I'd do one. It'd be fun. 

3 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Anyone that shoots at the Super Squad level is dangerous!  

I don't know man... The differences between 1st and 10th in Open, Limited, Production, CO are very significant - anywhere between 200 and 300 points. Even as high as 6th or even 5th guy had no real chance of winning the National title. 

2 hours ago, nasty618 said:

I don't know man... The differences between 1st and 10th in Open, Limited, Production, CO are very significant - anywhere between 200 and 300 points. Even as high as 6th or even 5th guy had no real chance of winning the National title. 

I'm not saying that the match was close. Just saying people at that level have the skill to pull an upset. 

9 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I'm not saying that the match was close. Just saying people at that level have the skill to pull an upset. 

Where were you placed at the end of day 2? I was shooting Production, so I didn't really see the CO scores. Were you shooting the same schedule as the super squad?

3 minutes ago, Tanders said:

Where were you placed at the end of day 2? I was shooting Production, so I didn't really see the CO scores. Were you shooting the same schedule as the super squad?

I don't know for sure. I new I was up there but didn't look. 

I shot PM/AM/PM