Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sps Magazines - Are They Any Good?

wsimpso1

Hey all,

I am building a Limited/ESP gun in .40 S&W (Going beyond the single stack .45 ACP), and one o the things I spotted in Front Sight is the S.P.S. mags. Has anybody tried them out? Are they OK, great, poor, what?

Billski

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the referral to the previous thread. My search technique must need improvement because I did search on SPS and Magazines, and came up empty... It looks like I shall buy some Para tubes and Dawson parts, and maybe buy SPS for practice of for when they get legal. Thanks again.

Billski

My search technique must need improvement because I did search on SPS and Magazines, and came up empty...

Me too. well...it came up with 27 pages of crap.

We switched up how the search engine works, if should give about half as many results now...with them being much more likely to be on topic.

I got some as their ads seem to indicate they fit Para too. They don't without moving the location of the magazine catch slot. The factory slot holds the mag too low so the slide cannot strip a round from the mag. I could make it run by pushing the mag into the gun past the mag slot but that sure isn't very practical. A simple reweld of the old slot and a new cut should work. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess some folks have done the same with STI/SV mags and made them work in Paras.

I them both in 40 S&W, and 38 super, I don't get the round count in either of them, they are made out of lighter gauge steel than the sti mags, be carefult on how many rounds you install, it will start to spread the feeding lips on them, I would not recommend them

You can run STI, SVI, or Para mags in a Para frame gun (same goes for a Springfield frame gun).

Don't mess with the Mags just wield the mag catch (remember always work on the cheap part).

Put a bead on the top of you're mag catch (where it contacts you're mag) then put a mag in the gun, keep cutting the bead you put on it until you're mags are held at the proper height.

You can run STI, SVI, or Para mags in a Para frame gun (same goes for a Springfield frame gun).

Don't mess with the Mags just wield the mag catch (remember always work on the cheap part).

Put a bead on the top of you're mag catch (where it contacts you're mag) then put a mag in the gun, keep cutting the bead you put on it until you're mags are held at the proper height.

This is fine if all of the mags you will use are the same (STI/SV/SPS). May be a problem if you use both Para mags and mags from one of the others. Seems the mag catch mod would prevent you from using the Para mags and other interchangably. However, if you don't have a supply of Para mags like I do, the mod is sure a quick and simple fix.

I've found that SVI mags work fine in both my para's (limited and open) with a standard para mag catch (dawson I think), I tried a brown extended mag catch and the mags would fall out under recoil.

So I get the advantage of 21 rounders and the easy reloads with the SV mags. best of both worlds.

Am I to understand that their turn key, 140mm .40 cal mag holds 21+1 and is reloadable just the way it comes?

I have been thinking of trying some myself, but didn't want to be the first. I like my SV, Gramms, Dawson set up, but for 21+1 reloadable I might go out on a limb.

Lemmee know...

Edited by dirtypool40

DirtyPool

The sps mags will hold 21 right out of the wrapper. The base pad has a slight angle and extension to it (6-7 mm) SPS is now sending a standard base pad with the mags also, but even with the slightly convex flat pad the overall mag will hold 21, but still measures 142-143mm. The tube is 140mm, and anything you add to the bottom will have to be removed from the top. One of our local gunsmith/shooters did put an old Para base (the flat steel kind) on one of the mags and was able to shave just a bit off of the lips to get it within the 140 limits, but then it would hold only 20 rounds. I've got 3 of them. at least I can use them for steelchallenge.

Methinks Dave's talking about starting with a Para mag (21 +1) and reloading with the easier-to-reload SV mags.

Yeah, false advertising aside, I just don't see it in a factory mag. I have two of the "loch ness" 19 round brazilians, and the same guy makes a 21+1 reloadable 140mm legal mag, but you don't even want to know what they cost. Yes, I have seen and handled one.

As my 6 SV tubed, Gramms gutted, Dawson based mags all hold 20, I will not worry too much about this. I read all the drama on here about getting mags to hold 18 in Standard or 20 in Limited, and I just have not experienced it.

Oh well, lucky me. B)

I read all the drama on here about getting mags to hold 18 in Standard or 20 in Limited, and I just have not experienced it.

Oh well, lucky me. B)

i've been able to have 18 reloadable for Std div.

... same here. Just bought two 120 mm SPS tubes and their follower kit. Can fit 18rds, reloadable in 40cal. Gets expensive though, each mag ended up costing around $100 each.

... but it beats 17rds in the mag though. At least those Para boys don't have as much an edge as before :) he.. he..

Be AWARE.

Unless they changed the dimension or the base pad the 140mm 40 (ONLY 40 S&W) magazines are too long for the USPSA guage, the actual tube was 140mm, anything but a pressed steel basepad would make the 40 S&W magaine too long. Not something they sell with the magazine......

Unless something has changed that is............. :blink:

As for the Super magazines I ran them forever, I have never had a problem with them, my 170mm big stick with bevens pad and his spring and follower gets me 29 in a USPSA legal magazine. I have a gauge...... These if imported LEGALLY I would recommend to anyone.

SPS came out with a new spring and follower and i think that is the capacity problem, if you look at their web site they sell the magazine and a 2 part follower spring pack, this is what gets the extra rounds and knowing SPS as I used too they sell this, but don't fit it in all the magazines, Go figure.....

FYI

I HAVE NO AFFLIATION WITH SPS AT ALL.

I guess I can post my report on this.

I've been using an SPS hi-cap .40" tube in my mag for 9 months now.

The basic setup (for SD) is the following:

- Unmodified 120 mm (124? 126?) SPS tube

- Italian-made aluminum base pad

- Wolff spring

- SVI competition follower.

I had to slightly modify each of the components, except for the tube itself.

What I gained is a 19 rounds, reloadable, mag which is IPSC box-compliant for Standard Division. :o

So far, it has proven to be reliable. i'm a bit concerned about the feed lips, since I was told the steel is somewhat softer than S_I, thus it might happen that on the long run they get a bit spread apart, but only time will tell.

I'll try to gather a bunch of pictures and the description of the mods, and post'em here.

Edited by Skywalker

I guess I can post my report on this.

I've been using an SPS hi-cap .40" tube in my mag for 9 months now.

The basic setup (for SD) is the following:

- Unmodified 120 mm (124? 126?) SPS tube

- Italian-made aluminum base pad

- Wolff spring

- SVI competition follower.

I had to slightly modify each of the components, except for the tube itself.

What I gained is a 19 rounds, reloadable, mag which is IPSC box-compliant for Standard Division. :o

So far, it has proven to be reliable. i'm a bit concerned about the feed lips, since I was told the steel is somewhat softer than S_I, thus it might happen that on the long run they get a bit spread apart, but only time will tell.

I'll try to gather a bunch of pictures and the description of the mods, and post'em here.

Regarding the mag spring, How many coils?