Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm 5.25 9mm: Do they require a heavier powder charge to cycle?

SingingShooter

Has anyone else noticed that their XDm 5.25 in 9mm needs to run hot?  I’m not sure whether what I’m experiencing is a reloading issue or a firearm quirk.  Allow me to try and explain:

I’ve only ever shot 115 RN Blue Bullets in it; 4.6 gr of Titegroup; and, OAL =  1.132. I’ve easily put 25k rounds through it since buying it new without a single glitch. This summer I started to experience problems with ‘stove pipes’ and the striker not resetting. Once I discovered a broken striker spring, I took the advice given here and put in a new recoil spring (changed out the OEM 18# for a Wolff #16) and a new striker spring. That solved the striker issue but not the stove pipes, so I replaced all of my 19 rd mag springs with Wolff springs. Prior to that I had even re-chronoed my rounds (thinking maybe I was running too light) but realized that I was almost pushing major, so it wasn’t due to light charges!  After further investigation, I went to the Hodgdon’s website where I read that they recommend a 3.9 gr starting load and 4.5 gr as the max Titegroup load for 115 LRN. So, by my (wrong?) way of thinking, this gun should run with 4.1/4.2 gr of Titegroup, and that would be within Hodgdon’s reload specs. Nope, I’m still getting stove pipes (3 per 200 rounds) and occasionally no lock-back following a mag dump. I’m inclined to go back to a 4.6 gr charge. Am I overlooking something? 

You don't have a dot on it correct? Thoroughly clean the gun and try again? Change your grip and maybe thumb is dragging on slide. Sounds like a classic slow slide problem. The challenge will be to figure out why. 

well 1 of 2 things is going on, your extractor is holding too tight, or your ejector isnt hitting hard enough. ( well geeze , thanks Captain Obvious you say).
well step one is spring, your original OEM that used to work had an issue, you changed it for a Wolff, 16 I would say maybe Wolff messed up and spring is too stiff, but If I get your post problem started before spring change. So guessing it isnt the recoil spring.
2. There is a cheap roll pin in the stryker assembly that can break , especially if you dry fire. Goes straight up. Could be jamming firing pin, cause brass to be gripped a bit to tight.
3. Check your ejector. measure it and post some pics. Its basically just a piece of stamped steel. Could be worn or damaged.
4. Check your extractor and spring. Pull slide and soak it in some mineral spirits. Could have build up of crud messing with the tension.

With your 25k history. I dont think it is you, your ammo or the springs. I think its something mechanical in the ejector or extractor.

21 hours ago, Sarge said:

You don't have a dot on it correct? Thoroughly clean the gun and try again? Change your grip and maybe thumb is dragging on slide. Sounds like a classic slow slide problem. The challenge will be to figure out why. 

Yikes! I DO have an optic! I’m almost positive I’m not thumbing the slide, but will throw on my GoPro and see for myself! 

15 hours ago, Joe4d said:

well 1 of 2 things is going on, your extractor is holding too tight, or your ejector isnt hitting hard enough. ( well geeze , thanks Captain Obvious you say).
well step one is spring, your original OEM that used to work had an issue, you changed it for a Wolff, 16 I would say maybe Wolff messed up and spring is too stiff, but If I get your post problem started before spring change. So guessing it isnt the recoil spring.
2. There is a cheap roll pin in the stryker assembly that can break , especially if you dry fire. Goes straight up. Could be jamming firing pin, cause brass to be gripped a bit to tight.
3. Check your ejector. measure it and post some pics. Its basically just a piece of stamped steel. Could be worn or damaged.
4. Check your extractor and spring. Pull slide and soak it in some mineral spirits. Could have build up of crud messing with the tension.

With your 25k history. I dont think it is you, your ammo or the springs. I think its something mechanical in the ejector or extractor.

Thank you, Sir! I’ve had this thing all apart for a good scrub. The roll pin that goes through the striker is good (I’m not that dedicated of a dry-firer...don’t judge.) I’ve questioned the ejector as the culprit because it does have a very slight amount of play in it — minuscule! On the XD forums they all say this is ‘normal’ but...Yeah. I had the extractor out, inspected, and cleaned and nothing is off there.  If after I go back to my original reload recipe (4.6 gr Titegroup) it still acts up, I may just box it up and send it in to Springfield.

Edited by SingingShooter

2 hours ago, SingingShooter said:

Yikes! I DO have an optic! I’m almost positive I’m not thumbing the slide, but will throw on my GoPro and see for myself! 

Dot might have added enough weight to slow it down too. You are nowhere near dangerous loads so I would bump it 2 tenths and see if it fixes it

Just a thought and I’m sure you looked at it but is the recoil spring guide buggered, bent, sitting in there weird ect, binding the spring. No nicks on bbl ramp’s and frame block. Bbl binding on slide. Breech face smooth, check fired brass for weird marks. Just some thoughts. Mine will function with most powders below min. 

On 9/7/2020 at 3:10 PM, Joe4d said:

Buy a box,, ( LMAO)  well ok beg borrow or steel a couple mags of US 9mm ball ammo. Blazer brass, winchester whitebox,,, etc. Fire that and see what happens. Eliminate the ammo issue.

😂 “Buy a box” Bwahahahahahahahaha...ugh. 

On 9/7/2020 at 2:31 PM, Sarge said:

Dot might have added enough weight to slow it down too. You are nowhere near dangerous loads so I would bump it 2 tenths and see if it fixes it

I guess I just need to run hot. I put 100 rounds reloaded with 4.6 gr of Titegroup through it without a hitch. I then followed that up with 100 reloaded at 4.1/4.2 and had two hangups. I guess the optic is enough added slide weight to make it finicky. 

1 hour ago, SingingShooter said:

I guess I just need to run hot. I put 100 rounds reloaded with 4.6 gr of Titegroup through it without a hitch. I then followed that up with 100 reloaded at 4.1/4.2 and had two hangups. I guess the optic is enough added slide weight to make it finicky. 

👍 I love it when a plan comes together!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure why people feel so religiously about using Titegroup. I've used slower powders for over 20 years with my XD/XDM pistols in competition and am very happy with the results. I use VihtaVouri 350 exclusively. If I can't find that I use AA#5. slower powders give a fuller case, almost no shifting that can cause erratic ignition, and the 0.1-0.2 throw variation on my Dillon 650 has much less effect shot to shot than working with a smaller quantity faster powder. The recoil impulse changes, especially with heavier bullets. Shooting a 147g jacketed with VV350 is a joy.

Well I have an XDM 5.25 with a vortex venom on it. I'm using 125gr Blue Bullets with 3.6gr of e3 with a COL of 1.100 and makes 140PF.  The gun has a 14# recoil spring and PRP extreme trigger kit. I know e3 is a fast powder but I don't think it's a big charge. Gun runs 100% 

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have shot over 50k through my 5.25 with everything from hot factory loads all the way down to super slow 147gr over titegroup without a hitch. I do run a wolf 16lb recoil spring and springer trigger but it has never let me down. I have thought about adding an optic so Ill keep this in mind that it may require a heavier load than anticipated. 

• 6 months later...