Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Carry Optics 141.25mm Mag

CClassForLife

Appendix E1 states "The primary magazine measuring device shall be the EGW mag gauge... The magazine shall be placed into the gauge without significant force or depression.  It must lie so that the back of the magazine is flush against the gauge."

I have TTI +5/6 basepads and they all sit like this in the gauge. The picture shows a slight gap on the left, which means that the mag does not sit flush. Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

gauge.jpg.289805384987334689137328e0d5d05e.jpg

I had the same issue with TTI bade pads on Walther magazines. I’m not sure why the design has to be so close to the maximum allowed, 1-2 mm is not going to give any extra capacity. Also not all factory magazines are exactly the same length, the basepad design should allow for some discrepancy.

Pretty common for TTI extensions to not fit the gauge. I've seen multiple people get bumped to Open for them.

Dawson extensions always fit gauge in my experience. The TTI fit better on older mag tubes. I guess newer ones are a tiny bit longer.

No need to grind the extensions.  Take a file to the rear corner of the feed lips and take a couple of swipes.  I found out the hard way after being bumped to open at a section match last year.  It took 3-4 firm passes with a file to the rear corner to come into compliance.  Some folks will grind on the base pad, but that is entirely too much work. 

6 minutes ago, Rvajma said:

No need to grind the extensions.  Take a file to the rear corner of the feed lips and take a couple of swipes.  I found out the hard way after being bumped to open at a section match last year.  It took 3-4 firm passes with a file to the rear corner to come into compliance.  Some folks will grind on the base pad, but that is entirely too much work. 

Yep, exactly what I ended up doing.

I hated running chrono. Too many shooters fail to ensure their mags fit the gauge. Bump to Open is one thing bumping to No Score is worse IMO. 
Never trust what OEM’s say, Verify Verify. Even if the base pad works on one doesn’t mean it will work on all.