Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Universal Shells

chp5

I fired about 100 rounds of Walmart special Winchester Universal shells, 3 dram, 1 1/8 oz, #8 out of my Benelli M1S90. It seems to work fine.

Anyone have problems with using this cheap ammo? I couldn't find my usual AA Heavy Target Loads.

Thanks.

I fired about 100 rounds of Walmart special Winchester Universal shells, 3 dram, 1 1/8 oz, #8 out of my Benelli M1S90. It seems to work fine.

Anyone have problems with using this cheap ammo? I couldn't find my usual AA Heavy Target Loads.

Thanks.

other than making yer bore look like someone puked in it, they are ok. IMHO, go with the AA's...much cleaner.

Thanks.

Yes, If that is the CHEAP stuff $15 for 100 pack. It would not feed in M1S90. I found several othe cheap loads that would work. All for about $4 to $5 per box of 25. So lots of options.

Jeff

Yes, If that is the CHEAP stuff $15 for 100 pack. It would not feed in M1S90. Jeff

That's th stuff. It seems to feed fine out of my M1S90, but I'll keep looking for some AA's. Thanks.

most autos dont really like those SuperSpeed winchester shells.

heck walmart had em on sale for 22 dollars a case after dove season last year!!

my 11-87 shoots the winchester and federal universal loads as well as double As

i dont shoot enough shotgun to notice more or less wad fouling..

• 2 weeks later...

Just shot that cheapo Walmart ammo yesterday at the Ky State 3 gun match and it did not fair well!!!!! Shoots great out of the 18 1/2" barrel, but a 21" IC barrel just don't like it! Any help on ammo that actually functions with a choked 21" barrel? tia

I prefer Winchester Super-Handicap or Remington Nitro Gold 27. These are cycle most autos well and are also ATA Trap legal. If your gun likes really heavy loads, use the slightly hotter Winchester Sporting Clays or Remington Nitro Gold Sporting Clays. Those are about 1300 fps 1 1/8 oz. If your gun jams on these high-quality heavy loads it needs to be cleaned and oiled, or repaired. All of the above are good for reloading.

If you are on a tighter budget and you don't reload (or are shooting a lost brass/shell match), Wolf 3 or 3 1/4 dram equivalent (1250 or 1300 fps) should also work.

Edited by richardschennberg

I've tried both the Wal-Mart cheapies, Winchester and Federal.

When my 1100CM gas ports were stock, the Federal would cycle 100%, but not the Wincherter (AA's either). Even though they have the same specs. After opening the ports to .110, it all cycles 100% now.

But I still get the Federal's over the Winchester..

It's not that the cheapos are just dirtier. The shot is not hard shot so longer shots the soft stuff doesn't pattern as well. The components are all less expensive. The hulls usually aren't meant to be reloaded, the wads are cheaper resulting in not as tight patterns, etc.

The truth is that if the shots are close shots the cheap stuff can do the job. I just don't like to run it in my autos. For a pump gun it isn't as critical.

The real culprit I have found in the Winchester Universal was it had a VERY uneven crimp, caused quit a few jams in my Benelli due to flared case mouth, and inconsistent velocity due to inconsistent crimps. I have always shot the Federal Multi-Purpose from Wal-Mart as the crimp on those was good...ecept for the last batch I bought. This weekend at the Arkansas state 3-gun I had two death jams on a speed shoot stage. I hadn't checked the crimp and just took it for granted that all would be well, it wasn't. I guess any body can have a bad run of ammo but you have to look befor you stuff. :D KURT

I get inconsistent results (in my M1) with both the cheapo Winchester and Federal Wally World varieties. Kurt is right on regarding poor crimps of those shells, I have noticed they tend to get hung up at the lift gate. I've been using the Estate Super Competition loads from Sportmans Warehouse ($34) a case and they are very consistent. For matches, I just used the more xpensive PMCs made in Spain or Italy. They do have beautiful and well radiused crimps :wub:

if it works in your gun then go for it. Especially for practice, why buy the high dollar stuff when you dont have too.

I always try to buy the premium stuff for major matches to reduce the possiblilty of a jam, but at the nationals this year i bought some remington nitro and had a box with several that were mis-shaped and bent. unfortunatly i didn't notice it till after i had trouble on a stage. now i will pay more attention to the rounds as i load up the gun and my shellholders. and i will stick with AA's!

I went to two big "sports" out lets today and looked at all kinds of shells. I couldn't find any PMC because I would like to see those after Pac-Mans post but hedre is what I found. Most remmington shells have a good crimp, but it,s not very round. Winchester has fallen way off in the crimp department, and all of its shells and lines I looked at were marginaly crimped and some down right flared at the end, they use to be the standard for a nice round consistent crimp, but no longer. Federal shells ran the gambit from so so to nice round consistent crimps, and it seemed the target loads were about the best of the Federal line. Kent has a very nice crimp and is very consistent, but I have had 3 shell seperations with Kent and seen quite a few more, so I'm leery of them. Estate was by far the hands down winner, of at least the lots I looked at today, Nice consistent rounded crimp. I will be shooting these at area 6! NONE of the shell I looked at today were of the quality of Nobel Sport ammo that Benny uses. I am going to try to find an out let for these shells. They are VERY consistent in the crimp. Nicely rounded, andf the hull is very hard, stiff. Making for the best feeding round I have ever tried. Benny lent me 50 rounds ofd this just so I could finish the shotgun stagtes at Arkansas 3-gun Championships, and good thing too because I was sick of the jams I had that day due to Federal Multi-Purpose. Thank You Benny!!! KURTM

For the last two years I have been using the Winnie Universals with great results. Just recently I experienced the crimp flaring and had a couple of Jams. I have since bought a couple of four packs of the Wal Mart Remingtons and they seem to have much more consistent and better crimps. I hope they stay that way. On a wild hair I cut apart a Winchester and Remington. The remmy hull is much thicker which will mean its crimp will have better resistance to change. Also the shot is true hardened shot and the wad was a quality rem power piston. The powder seemed to be of first quality as well compared to the winchesters.

For those of you using the PMC have you had experiences where the brass was ripped by the extractor? Some guys locally bought some and all of them experienced it at one time or other in 3 different guns. I have been leary ever since to try some simply from that.

Take care, Craig

Edited by smokshwn