Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small rifle primers in Open gun

beechnutbob

Same here.  In the old days of 175+ PF, rifle primers gave just a bit more safety margin so most people used them.  I've probably shot a quarter million rounds of Open major with rifle primers and no issues.

On 8/10/2020 at 12:30 PM, clw42 said:

I've used plenty of them as well.  I have, however, had mixed results with Fiocchi Small Rifle Magnum primers.  I'm thinking it's a problem batch as the strikes on the primers are solid, yet no ignition.  I'm also not sure if it's one box of 1,500 or several.  After I loaded up 20 to try, and they worked, I loaded up a couple thousand...then started having problems.  I thought maybe light strikes so I put a heavier main spring in the gun.  Then I was thinking high primers, because I could get some to go off by striking several times.  Then I started examining the rounds every time and the primers were not high and the strikes were very good.  So I'm left with the possibility that there's a bad batch.  So those are all practice rounds!!

I’ve got some Fiocchi SRP somewhere around here and they are the.MOST inconstant primers I’ve ever tried to shoot. S&B are fine but Fed then CCI SRP are my choice. I haven’t had any issues with BF pitting.