Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small rifle primers in Open gun

beechnutbob

I've used plenty of them as well.  I have, however, had mixed results with Fiocchi Small Rifle Magnum primers.  I'm thinking it's a problem batch as the strikes on the primers are solid, yet no ignition.  I'm also not sure if it's one box of 1,500 or several.  After I loaded up 20 to try, and they worked, I loaded up a couple thousand...then started having problems.  I thought maybe light strikes so I put a heavier main spring in the gun.  Then I was thinking high primers, because I could get some to go off by striking several times.  Then I started examining the rounds every time and the primers were not high and the strikes were very good.  So I'm left with the possibility that there's a bad batch.  So those are all practice rounds!!

2 hours ago, Don_B said:

Been using small rifle primers for 30 years in my open guns. That only ones that would not work were S&B srp's. 

I have also found this to be the case.  I have about 10k of the S&B rifle primers that I mostly use for 223.  I did try them in 9mm, and even my 226 with the stock mainspring wasn't lighting them off all of the time.  They must be the hardest primers I have ever used.  I have used winchester, federal, and CCI rifle primers in 9mm before with no ill effects,

I generally use SPP's but since I load .223 have lots of small rifle primers here and have used them when I run out of SPP. Somewhere in the past I read that the cup of Small rifle mag (SRM) primers was made a bit harder and may need another mainspring to light them up? 

3 hours ago, Benevolence said:

I've got 4k small rifle magnum primers I'm about to try with 9mm minor & major once my bullets get in. Hope they don't do anything too crazy. 😬

As long as you load them within limits, you’ll be fine. I used small magnum pistol and rifle when I did my load development with sport pistol and Winchester 231 without any problems at all. I have also used them with AA7 for my major loads and everything went well.

21 minutes ago, George16 said:

As long as you load them within limits, you’ll be fine. I used small magnum pistol and rifle when I did my load development with sport pistol and Winchester 231 without any problems at all. I have also used them with AA7 for my major loads and everything went well.

what velocity change did you measure with the magnum primers?