Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mojitos

DKOL

I got hooked on two things this last weekend....3-gunning and Mojitos. I did however learn that an excessive amount of one does not lead to good performance in the other. There seemed to be an ever steeper decline in my abilities with the different guns of 3-gun. My pistol abilities appeared to be unaffected, however, I handled my shotgun like someone who just jumped off of the short bus. Luckily we had completed all of the rifle stages before I discovered the large cup of Ambrosia that is the Mojito. I am now on the hunt for more 3-gun matches and more extravagent recipes for the Mojito.......

If you like a good Mojito you gotta' love the Caipirinha which is basically a Brazillian Mojito. The only bummer is that I can't find any cachaca locally and the only place I know that serves this drink is too far to take a cab home from :(

Caipirinha:

1 lime

2 ounces of cachaça (a strong Brazillian rum)

Sugar to taste

Ice cubes

Wash the lime and roll it on the board to loosen the juices. Cut the lime into pieces and place them in a glass. Sprinkle with the sugar and crush the pieces (pulp side up) with a pestle. (We have a long, wooden one from Brazil, made specifically for this purpose.) Just enough to release the juice, otherwise it'll get bitter. Add the cachaça and stir to mix. Add the ice and stir again.

If you like a good Mojito you gotta' love the Caipirinha which is basically a Brazillian Mojito. The only bummer is that I can't find any cachaca locally and the only place I know that serves this drink is too far to take a cab home from :(

We had Brazillian Night at home a few weeks ago and made Caipirinhas for the first time. They were outstanding! Luckily almost all the liquor stores around here carry two or sometimes three brands of cachaça, so we are never without. B)

-Chet

I got hooked on two things this last weekend....3-gunning and Mojitos. I did however learn that an excessive amount of one does not lead to good performance in the other. There seemed to be an ever steeper decline in my abilities with the different guns of 3-gun. My pistol abilities appeared to be unaffected, however, I handled my shotgun like someone who just jumped off of the short bus. Luckily we had completed all of the rifle stages before I discovered the large cup of Ambrosia that is the Mojito. I am now on the hunt for more 3-gun matches and more extravagent recipes for the Mojito.......

If you are ever in Austin, there is a Brazilian/Columbian restaurant down town called Dona Emilia's. It is wonderful. They ahve great food, and more importantly they server Mojito's by the pitcher. They have both standard Mojito's and Raspberry Mojito's.

If you are ever in Austin, there is a Brazilian/Columbian restaurant down town called Dona Emilia's. It is wonderful. They ahve great food, and more importantly they server Mojito's by the pitcher. They have both standard Mojito's and Raspberry Mojito's.

Specifically: Dona Emilia's :)

-Chet

Specifically: Dona Emilia's :)

-Chet

Looks like I need to come up with an excuse to go to Austin. Might be time to start planning a Shooting / Best Mojito road trip next spring.

Nemo,

Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy squading with you? Hint, hint.

I thought Fireants were rum-intolerant... I am too after the first 7 or 8 "Cuba Libres".

We'll work something out Ant... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...all of my various mojito recipies call for fresh mint muddled with the sugar as well. I find the mint REALLY makes this refreshing.

The wife and I usually mix up a batch of mojitos along about February to remind ourselves that spring/summer isn't THAT far away.

I'll have to agree with TL on this one. I've had a Mojito at three different places... doesn't do it for me. A margarita with Cuervo Gold, lime juice, and shots of Cointreau and Grand Marnier is pretty close to perfection for me.