Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting a firing pin stop

BangSwitch

I'd like to try my hand at fitting a new firing pin stop onto one of my single stack guns.  The factory part is MIM and fits rather loosely.  ....and an oversized EGW part is only like $20 - so what have I got to lose?

Having never tried something like this before, I'm wondering how you keep the firing pin hole "centered" when removing material from the left & right sides of the stop?

Is it just a case of making sure you make an equal number of passes on each side when removing material?  ....or are you using a mic to ensure each side is equal?

p_296000058_1.jpg

Measure the width of the new part.  Measure the frame opening.  Remove half from one side, then half from the other.  Use a micrometer to measure as you go.  If you plan to do it by hand with a file, it's probably going to be difficult to keep straight and even.  But it's doable.  It's WAY easier and faster to do in a vertical mill if you have one.

If hand filing, use a Sharpie to color the area that you're about to file. File so that you remove the Sharpie equally. You can keep everything pretty straight and even doing that.

Also cover the FPS with Sharpie when fitting it in the slide. You can see where you need to file by where the Sharpie rubs off.

When the fit is close, apply Sharpie and test fit after each file stroke.

As mentioned above, watch the radius where the FPS engages the hammer as you need that to be pretty exact (probably the most exacting part of the fitting). Personally, I barely radius it as I like the feel of a flat bottom firing pin stop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just to add a little...the firing pin keeps the FP stop centered when installed in the slide. It’s not THAT critical since the firing pin never completely leaves the hole in the FP stop. Most factory fit 1911s FP stops are quite loose.