Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO in magazine capacity restricted states?

jakeb

CT resident...looking to start going back to some USPSA matches in CT/NY/MA/PA etc.

So I'm not lucky enough to live somewhere I can have standard capacity magazines and the surrounding states are similar.

Are any of you in the same boat and still shooting CO with 10rd mags? I know I'm not going to do well in regional/state matches where standard cap and + basepad magazines are allowed.

I don't have this quandary in IDPA...however that statement opens a whole other can of worms to ignore for now...

The ideal ticket is to compete in your lowcap state with 10rd mags like everyone else, then find a friend in another state who can bring hicaps with him for you if you attend a major that is out-of-state, or mail them to your hotel, or whatever is needed.

here we have several shooters from Canada, most have bought HiCaps and leave them friends or the club, a couple of open guys carry a rivet gun and a small drill, and drill out  the limit rivets here and them replace them when the go home. 

4 hours ago, LuvDog said:

Are standard capacity mags banned completely or were any older mags grand fathered in as "pre-ban"

Standards were grandfathered in and you had to ‘declare’ what magazines you owned. Sadly I didn’t declare a bunch of mags for guns I was going to own in the future. 

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

depends what he shoots too.

CZ P-09s and Walther Q5s didnt exist before the ban.

Yup... I agree, but he could pick up a G17 or G34 that have preban mags.  And I think the mag bans in CT aren’t that old... 2013?

28 minutes ago, LuvDog said:

Yup... I agree, but he could pick up a G17 or G34 that have preban mags.  And I think the mag bans in CT aren’t that old... 2013?

Nope, the "ban" refers to the original 1994 AWB I believe. In the case of Glocks, you need the old early 90's U-notch mags. It gets murkier with the CZs, Berettas, etc where the original mags look more or less identical to the current production ones.

10 hours ago, fishhunter3 said:

here we have several shooters from Canada, most have bought HiCaps and leave them friends or the club, a couple of open guys carry a rivet gun and a small drill, and drill out  the limit rivets here and them replace them when the go home. 

This

I've seen the guys from Canada do this more times than I can count.

Drill the rivet out , shoot the match, then re pop rivet the block back in before heading home!

Currently living in NY so I feel your pain.

The above is what I do when I go to a "standard capacity" state !!!!! 

9 hours ago, ClangClang said:

Nope, the "ban" refers to the original 1994 AWB I believe. In the case of Glocks, you need the old early 90's U-notch mags. It gets murkier with the CZs, Berettas, etc where the original mags look more or less identical to the current production ones.

I don't live in CT, but I think they had a magazine ban implemented in 2013

Since 2013, Connecticut law prohibits people from selling or purchasing high-capacity ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Existing owners before the law passed were allowed to keep the magazines.

A person who lawfully possesses a large capacity magazine prior to January 1, 2014, must apply by that date to the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP) to declare possession of such magazine

So if you had a mag before then and "declared"as jakeb stated, then you could keep it and use it (with some restrictions).

If he has any standard mags that he 'declared' then he could then buy/use a gun that could take advantage of those mags for CO.  

Similar in MA, but the ban is the actual 94 ban, so if people have mags from before then, then they are using them for CO.

NY'er and CO shooter here too.  As said above, have some out of state friends hold standard-caps for when you travel there.  Bonus is you get to practice your reloads a lot.  Just remember when you get to a standard capacity state, you don't need to reload as much!