Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 9mm for the first time- good starting recipe?

SouthernYank

I am getting back into the shooting sports after about a 6 year layoff due to family priorities and will be running a G34 or an XDM in 5" and plan to shoot Production and 3Gun.  I previously shot Limited and reloaded for an Edge in .40 major and am thinking I would like to start my 9mm venture with some of the same types of components-  coated bullets, and clean burning powder (I previously used Precisions over N320).

I am looking for thoughts on what coated bullets and what powders would be good for getting back into it. I dont have the time right now to order a bunch of samples and tweak it over the chrono with multiple trips to the range to work up the perfect load. I will adjust it to my gun but am really just looking for some help on a good starting point. 

Thanks in advance. 

While I haven't used them, I know blue bullets have a great reputation.

I prefer plated to coated, but that's because i cast and powder coat. So I've only used rmr's plated bullet over n320.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Precision bullets make very accurate projectiles.  I love the latest gen coating.  Summers Enterprises makes fine bullets also.  They are not quite as accurate as the Precision, but the price is right.  They are Hi-Tek coated, so they smell when fired.  Another good source for proprietary coated bullets is Roger's Better Bullets.  The are hard, accurate and don't smell when fired.  IMO, the best powder for coated bullets is Alliant Sport Pistol.  Think of it a a much less costly version of N320.

20 hours ago, SnipTheDog said:

147gr SNS RN with 3.4gr of Titegroup.  Range is 3.2 to 3.6 gr.  Bunny farts.

exact same for me, I've been playing around with their round nose bullets but the load data is sound and shoots like a wet dream.

Precision Delta 147 FMJ, 3.5 VV N320, 1.150 OAL. Sure, the PD's cost a little more, but they absolutely work great. Probably can't go wrong with any good coated bullet (I shoot Missouri Bullet 180 TCN for Limited).

3.4gr of n320 with  a good 147gr coated pill (I prefer Precision coated FPs ) is my go-to in 9mm.   3.3gr of Sport Pistol if I'm out of n320, as n320 can be a little hard to find when things get tight. 1.150 OAL.