Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Springfield Ronin nose drop

Bravester12

I am wondering if there is a fix to nose drop in 10 rd magazine. Really having many problems with it.

The magazine that I am using are Wilson Combat and Mec Gar 10 rd.

I see that after 4 to 5 round the space between the bullet get greater and greater. 

Thanks 

Got to be 9mm.  It is really hard to get 10 round 9mm 1911 mags to run perfectly.  All of them seem to be overly sensitive to mag catch shelf height.  I tried Wilson ETMs and McCormicks but could not get them to run.  If memory serves the Wilsons sat too high.  I bought some Brownell's mags made for them by Metaform.  These are the same bodies that Dawson sells.  After conditioning the springs they run 100%.

To condition the springs load them fully and let them sit for a long time.  I also polished the edges of the feed lips.  After 3-4 weeks of conditioning and use they fed perfectly.  You may try doing the same with your Wilsons and Mec Gar.

On 6/28/2020 at 4:39 PM, Bravester12 said:

The magazine that I am using are Wilson Combat and Mec Gar 10 rd.

Can you be more specific with the mags?

The older Gen 1 (polymer follower) Wilson’s are much less reliable vs the newer Gen 2’s (metal follower) ones...

Kinda same deal with the Mec-Gar 9mm 10rd1911 mags, the latest design is worlds better than the older ones...

Actually IMO the latest Mec-Gar 10rd AFC mags are the best 9mm 1911 mags that have ever been on the market (and I’ve owned them all: Wilson’s, Tripp, Dawson, Metalform, etc). That’s another story tho lol...

Point is, 9mm 1911 mags have come a long way, and while rounds nose-diving used to be par for the course with them even until just a few years ago, a few of the mags out there now have finally got it figured out...

That said, it might not be the mags... Another HUGE thing to check besides mags with 9mm 1911’s is extractor tension: an overly tight extractor can cause nose-dives and/or feeding problems. If you take the gun down to just a bare slide, a round should slip EASILY under the extractor from the bottom (like it would coming up from a mag), but once in place your extractor should still hold onto the round tight enough to let you knock it against your bench approximately 3-6 times until the round flys loose... if it takes too much effort to get the round to slip under the extractor and/or once in place your extractor holds on for “dear life” (round doesn’t pop loose after a bunch of knocks on the bench), then your extractor is probably too tight and removing some tension is probably needed. (Just google “1911 extractor tensioning” and you’ll find everything you need to know, it’s pretty easy, just remember you want to go just a little less tension at a time, as too little tension may cause extraction issues. The Atlas Gunworks video on 1911/2011 extractor tuning is particularly helpful IMO.)

For me, with 9mm 1911’s specifically, fixing the extractor tension has turned guns that couldn’t get through a single mag into guns that run like a watch...

Edited by ck1

Tripp mags work great in my SV and Tripp built guns.

I shoot every TNS with guys shooting 9mm 1911.  The issue you describe does not exist for us.  The guns range; SV/SA/DW(CZ), etc.

ck1 offers good advice.

4 hours ago, dansedgli said:

None of my metalforms needed any tuning.

Nowadays I only buy metalform for my 9mm Loaded Target. I have Colt, Shooting star and a few others and they all (mostly) work, but I trust the metalform. Also I like the pre-drilled holes in the metalform mags for pads.

Edited by gnappi

• 3 weeks later...