Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Split case removal?? 9mm

gerritm

Remove the barrel.  Ram a spent .223 case up there.  Ram it in there pretty hard where it can grab the 9mm hull.  Now you have something sticking out to grab a hold of.  Remove the .223 case & the 9mm hull should come with it.

Got it. Took a fluted easy out and started a slight cut at top then took a sharp pick and split it out. Pretty sure it was an extreme brass head stamp. Really thin. Not a stepped one or steel. Had a stuck extreme brass earlier.  Culled all the weird head stamps out of my loaded rounds.  These were commercial processes brass not my normal range brass. 

I threw a hook and pick set from harbor freight in my range bag for that exact reason.  My daughter had a piece of stepped brass separate in her chamber.  It was a PIA to remove.

1 hour ago, stick said:

I threw a hook and pick set from harbor freight in my range bag for that exact reason.  My daughter had a piece of stepped brass separate in her chamber.  It was a PIA to remove.

Have these in my range bag and have used them before. Something about the thinness of this case just could not get a grip on it. Gun was clean with maybe less than 50 rounds. Wished I knew exactly what headstamp it was for sure.

gerritm

3 hours ago, gerritm said:

Have these in my range bag and have used them before. Something about the thinness of this case just could not get a grip on it. Gun was clean with maybe less than 50 rounds. Wished I knew exactly what headstamp it was for sure.

gerritm

That's why I started sorting my brass.  

• 3 weeks later...

What I do

I line the bottom of a large bin with the white plastic trays from blazer 45  ammo, and dump my brass in, about 90% lands with the case mouth facing up and look inside. It’s easy to spot 380 and 40 and cull, I looked for stepped brass, Bredan primed, etc. take a empty tray cover and flip the case in check the rest and look for crimped brass

1 hour ago, rishii said:

What I do

I line the bottom of a large bin with the white plastic trays from blazer 45  ammo, and dump my brass in, about 90% lands with the case mouth facing up and look inside. It’s easy to spot 380 and 40 and cull, I looked for stepped brass, Bredan primed, etc. take a empty tray cover and flip the case in check the rest and look for crimped brass

Works for me also. Another benefit is you get a count of how much brass you have processed...