Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leading w/BBI

DodgeNerd

So I was able to try 200rds or so 9mm tc 147gr BBI, 3.05gn sport pistol, 1.09oal with a shadow 2. 

I havent crono d these, but started with 2.9gn SP, 1.09 OAL that got me 126pf, (I only figured I need 3gn to get me through the day).

I'm leading pretty good, I believe my crimps are .378ish, and I am using a NOE expander, i do not see any shaved bullets when loaded.

Thoughts?

Coated or just lubed? Bevel base, hard cast? Bevel base with regular lube will lead more than a flat base and if they’re hard that makes it worse. Try upping the charge a bit to see if it helps. May not be obturating enough to fill the bore. Also make sure the brass isn’t squeezing the bullet down smaller when seating them. Some brass has more taper than others.  Hot powders can be a problem too. 

Lee FCD will contribute to it. I don’t use mine on cast or even plated bullets because of that and accuracy goes away too. Try just a reg taper crimp.  Took a while to pin that one down on my 45 & 327 mag. If you have a tight bore it doesn’t seem to be as much as a problem. On the powder I’ve seen some that just have a tendency to lead more than others but it’s the last resort if everything else fits like it should. 

Edited by Farmer

Like stated above, it’s the FCD that’s causing it. The BBI 147 Gr bullets are sized at .356” while the FCD is at .355. The FCD is swaging down your bullet to .355”. This damages the plating or coating and thereby leading your barrel.

I only use the FCD on .355” diameter like the PD 124 Gr JHP and 115 FMJ. Other than that, I use a taper crimp die for everything else.

The RCBS TC will work fine, that’s what I use. Actually either one. As a side note the Redding Profile crimp die will size down lead/plated bullets also. Works great on jacketed though. 

Edited by Farmer

I was getting leading with .356 BBI’s when I used a FCD. It was sizing them down to .354” 

I went to the Dillon crimp die and the leading went away. 

the FCD is fine for plated and jacketed but not coated 

Do the newer Lee bullet seating dies also do a taper crimp? So when loading the coated bullets, that could give it enough of a crimp without using the Factory Crimp Die? I thought I read somewhere that the bullet seating die does some kind of crimp on its own.

There are different sets of 9mm dies that Lee sells. I bought one 9mm set with the FCD and another set with the Taper crimp die.

Amazon sell 9mm Lee die sets with either an FCD or Taper crimp die.

2 minutes ago, George16 said:

There are different sets of 9mm dies that Lee sells. I bought one 9mm set with the FCD and another set with the Taper crimp die.

Amazon sell 9mm Lee die sets with either an FCD or Taper crimp die.

I don't mean which die comes in the set, but rather does the bullet seating die do some kind of crimp on its own so you don't need to use a separate die?

3 minutes ago, madmosche said:

I don't mean which die comes in the set, but rather does the bullet seating die do some kind of crimp on its own so you don't need to use a separate die?

I see what you mean. 

It depends on what dies lee die set you buy. Lee has a combination seating and crimoing die on the three pack set they sell. However, it’s a lot more difficult to set it compared to a separate seating and crimp die. On my 650, the seating die is on station 4 while my FCD is on station five.

The carbide "sizing" ring in the FCD swaging cast or coated bullets down to jacketed sizes is a well known issue. 

Google "removing the carbide sizing ring from a Lee factory crimp die". There are plenty of different posts of people driving the ring out fairly easily...then you're left with a nice easily adjustable taper crimp die. 

Another option is to just buy a standard taper crimp die from Redding, RCBS, Hornady, etc.

2 hours ago, t-squared said:

The carbide "sizing" ring in the FCD swaging cast or coated bullets down to jacketed sizes is a well known issue. 

Google "removing the carbide sizing ring from a Lee factory crimp die". There are plenty of different posts of people driving the ring out fairly easily...then you're left with a nice easily adjustable taper crimp die. 

Another option is to just buy a standard taper crimp die from Redding, RCBS, Hornady, etc.

You can also use bigger caliper FCD body, just use the internal part for actual caliber.

40 sizing ring does nothing for 9x19 bullet so it does only taper crimping.

5 hours ago, Esa1195 said:

You can also use bigger caliper FCD body, just use the internal part for actual caliber.

40 sizing ring does nothing for 9x19 bullet so it does only taper crimping.

Never would have thought to do that!