Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slugs Impacting Extremely High

MedicAJ

How much of the vent rib do you see in your sight picture?

If you see any of the rib (between the front sight back to the rib's “ramp” a couple of inches in front of the receiver) the slug POI is probably going to be high at 50 yards....gotta say though that 3' high at 100 is quite extreme.

ABarrow's question about a barrel clamp comes into play too, pressure from some clamps can put upward pressure on the barrel causing the POI to rise

16 hours ago, GunCat said:

How much of the vent rib do you see in your sight picture?

If you see any of the rib (between the front sight back to the rib's “ramp” a couple of inches in front of the receiver) the slug POI is probably going to be high at 50 yards....gotta say though that 3' high at 100 is quite extreme.

ABarrow's question about a barrel clamp comes into play too, pressure from some clamps can put upward pressure on the barrel causing the POI to rise

There's no rib visible, basically just the apex of the front sight triangle visible over the ramp.  My other M2 has an XS rear sight, and I can see way more of the front sight and still have POA/POI.

It has a nordic clamp, but I didn't think it could have THAT much of an effect.  I'll take it off and see if that helps.

They're Fiocchi JM slugs, which shoot great in my other M2.  They're grouping great (maybe 5" at 100yds), just way high.

Andy

I was hitting 14" -16" high left at 50yds, took my clamp off and same hold went to around 6"high left at 50 yds.I am running a 21" barrel and a buddy with a 24" had very similar results. I also found that for me the lighter, faster slugs such as the 7/8oz 1300fps increase the issue, I am now running 1-1/8oz at 1050ish fps and have had no issues with shots out to 150yds. Hope this helps.

Whatever ABarrow says is the shotgun gold in our parts of Manasota counties. He's the trap lord.

My 28' M2 hits 5-7 inches low at 50-100 yards. On the steel plates in yesterdays match I had to hold on the bottom of the plate for a 70 yard slug hit.  You can bend barrels or just use hold unders/overs. I find it's easier to hold low for something with a shotgun than having to hold high so I just pick an aiming point and let fly. I don't notice that big of a difference when I run my barrel clamp but every time you put it on and take it off it could possibly change your impact. I doubt like a rifle that it's changing barrel harmonics but rather moving the actual barrel zero.

Fly

• 1 month later...

Andy,

Have you tried swapping the stock shims for the one that provides the lowest drop at the comb?  I have mine dropped at much as possible and still need to push my head down as much as possible to keep slugs on target.

If that doesn't work, you may need the 'jig' that TTI and several other shops have.  The gentleman Benelli expert that designed the jig is on this forum.

Dave

I have it on real good authority that the guy who made the squaring gage for Benellis sold one to Steve Rose at Rose action sports. I know a guy who knew a guy who knew his brother in law's sister and he said he knew!

Matter of fact, TTI, Triangle Shooting Sports, Rose action Sports, RCI, Pat Kelley, and Benelli U.S.A. all have one. Oh and I might just have one for me......the guy with a brother Iaw😉

A guys brother's, sister, husband, lover, etc told me Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports, Pembroke, KY can probably fix your M2 problem of slugs impacting too high. He has a jig that can make your gun shoot POI from POA. Give it a try. Steve fixed my M2  to shoot slugs where I aimed.

Edited by verla
additional infro