Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hundo case gauge inconsistent

Degs

So to start off, I usually just plunk test all my rounds before a match. That gets old real quick,  so I bought a hundo xl. It came in last night, and I was playing with it comparing it to my barrel. I'd assume the case gauge would be tighter then the barrel but im seeing inconsistency. Some rounds in the gauge are tighter in one hole then others. Then some rounds pass the hundo but not my barrel. Even some of the ones that pass my barrel don't pass the gauge. I feel like I wasted $100 if I still have to go back and check it against my barrel. 

Any one else have a similar issue?  Right now loading mixed brass, 200 sns rn at 1.125

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, Degs said:

So to start off, I usually just plunk test all my rounds before a match. That gets old real quick,  so I bought a hundo xl. It came in last night, and I was playing with it comparing it to my barrel. I'd assume the case gauge would be tighter then the barrel but im seeing inconsistency. Some rounds in the gauge are tighter in one hole then others. Then some rounds pass the hundo but not my barrel. Even some of the ones that pass my barrel don't pass the gauge. I feel like I wasted $100 if I still have to go back and check it against my barrel. 

Any one else have a similar issue?  Right now loading mixed brass, 200 sns rn at 1.125

I had this issue. I had my buddy bring his hundo over and the cases that wouldn’t fit in mine WOULD fit in his!

the guys at hundo too GREAT care of me!  It was a little bit of a pain to find their number cause I don’t do email. No one ever emails back Regardless of the company!  Anyway, the guy told me to send in dummy rounds that won’t fit in the gauge. They said to send all that in and within 2 weeks they sent me a brand new hundo gauge. 

they said that if their reamer machine is nearing the end of its life, it gets a tiny bit out of spec. 

Never had this problem again and my gun hasn’t had any hiccups. It’s been an easy 2-3 cases of bullets ran thru that and no problems. 

good luck!

Edited by Atlasguy321

I never checked individual bore on my XL.  That being said, if the rounds dropped into and out of the Shockbottle XL, they worked in my CZ and both 2011s.  Any that didn't pass got put in the practice pile.  Almost all would chamber and fire without a problem.  Maybe one out of 20 wouldn't.  After I started crimping with the Lee Factory Carbide Crimp die, 100% passes the test.

• 2 months later...

I just picked up a CZ TSO in .40 and plan to load 180gr blue bullets. From most the load data it sounds like the acceptable oal is between 1.12-1.13. My question is since I’m loading blue bullets do I need the 40xl hundo gauge or should I get the regular 40 hundo gauge or does it even matter? Thanks. 

21 hours ago, Goose78 said:

I just picked up a CZ TSO in .40 and plan to load 180gr blue bullets. From most the load data it sounds like the acceptable oal is between 1.12-1.13. My question is since I’m loading blue bullets do I need the 40xl hundo gauge or should I get the regular 40 hundo gauge or does it even matter? Thanks. 

I have a TSO and a hundo XL, definitely get the xl

14 hours ago, Furrly said:

I would get the xl, more options if you plan on loading longer loads down the line 

I just pick my Hundo up and let the rounds drop down

• 1 month later...

I’m having issues where I think some of the holes in my Hundo are tighter than others...

I’m finding with 99% of my rounds that are at first sticking up a bit, I can move them around to different holes and they fit fine... anyone else experienced this..?

From reading the thread sounds like I might need to contact the Hundo dudes... or is this just how they are sometimes..?

(sorry, mine is in 9mm, but found this thread instead of starting a new one...)

Edited by ck1

2 hours ago, ck1 said:

I’m having issues where I think some of the holes in my Hundo are tighter than others...

I’m finding with 99% of my rounds that are at first sticking up a bit, I can move them around to different holes and they fit fine... anyone else experienced this..?

From reading the thread sounds like I might need to contact the Hundo dudes... or is this just how they are sometimes..?

(sorry, mine is in 9mm, but found this thread instead of starting a new one...)

probably a dirty gauge. It only takes a spec of powder to make the round not fit. I see it all the time with my hundo. Sometimes spin the round and drop again and it fits or move to another hole and it fits. I just blow it out with a compressor. Another thing that virtually eliminated problems, and yes it's extra work, but I tumble my loaded rounds in corn cob and polish for about 30 minutes. They are absolutely spotless and slick. This keeps the gauge clean much longer.