Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the Length limit for comps/muzzle breaks in 3 gun?

minnesota1

I've heard there's a 3" limit, but just want to make sure what the rules are.  I am not in open.  I shoot tac ops or open sights.  I'm not sure if rules overlap for certain organizations so any of your knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by minnesota1

6 minutes ago, kellyn said:

This is a dumb rule (harkening back to SOF) and should be done away with.  Who cares?  

I've never considered the reasoning or origin of the rule. I'm not sure if 223 has enough gas to utilize a gigantic brake, and if you want to thread a soup can sized weight on your muzzle maybe you should be allowed to. I would assume no one cares, not even enough to try to change the rule.

The guys that ran S.O.F. hated comps of all kinds, but after the 1994 ban a lot of rifles were made with comps to get around the evil "flash hider" Claus in the law. I was at the shooters meeting where "S.O.F." polled the shooters about should they allow them. Bennie Cooley petitioned for comps on behalf of Armalite, and it was decided to allow them about the size of the Armalite pinned and welded comp,1"x3". Latter when S.O.F. shut down folks started getting comps which were longer than 3". It was me who made the new ruling for Rocky Mountain 3-Gun that it was 3" from the muzzle, not the threaded portion, which allowed many more rifles into the tactical division. This rule caught on and is still here today.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, kurtm said:

The guys that ran S.O.F. hated comps of all kinds, but after the 1994 ban a lot of rifles were made with comps to get around the evil "flash hider" Claus in the law. I was at the shooters meeting where "S.O.F." polled the shooters about should they allow them. Bennie Cooley petitioned for comps on behalf of Armalite, and it was decided to allow them about the size of the Armalite pinned and welded comp,1"x3". Latter when S.O.F. shut down folks started getting comps which were longer than 3". It was me who made the new ruling for Rocky Mountain 3-Gun that it was 3" from the muzzle, not the threaded portion, which allowed many more rifles into the tactical division. This rule caught on and is still here today.

Then I blame you Kurt Miller.  I blame you.  I wanted JP tank brakes on all my guns....

I don't want to derail Kelly and Kurt's trip down memory lane, buuuut... be advised that the 3" long x 1" diameter rule assumes a simple cylindrical muzzle device. If you have a funky asymmetric muzzle device that you think meets the criteria, you might want to check with the RM first to avoid disappointment. When we were faced with an unusual brake design at SMM3G, we clarified that the device must fit inside a right cylinder of 3" length and 1" internal diameter. The RM found a convenient gage (probably a choke tube package or something) to quickly make the assessment.

I want....no, DEMAND to see the pistol KN3 has that has a "Tank Brake" and further more I want to see proof that J.P. makes a 12 gage version of said "Tank Brake"! All your guns??? Mighty sloppy councilor! 😁 But blame away!!!

Edited by kurtm

2 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Anyone know how this compares to the sjc titan?

How the JP tank brake compares to Titan?  Tank brake figures to be more effective, given that the IPSC Rifle guys often pick the JP. But Titan fits in the 3x1 tube.

1 hour ago, adamge said:

How the JP tank brake compares to Titan?  Tank brake figures to be more effective, given that the IPSC Rifle guys often pick the JP. But Titan fits in the 3x1 tube.

do they have the same threads?

i think its 1/2x28

Im just asking cuz i have an sjc titan but if the JP tank break is more effective  i could just switch them out

of course effectiveness i guess is in the eye of the shooter since its going on a 223 competition rifle.....not really a whole lot of recoil to break in the first place