Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bicep tear

Out of Ammo

How recent was the injury and how did it happen? What is the extent of the tear and how much is it limiting your activities of daily life? What is the pain level (1-10) and how would you describe the pain? Is there pain with pressure to the area or just with movement and/or resistance? These are things you need to be sharing with your health team (doctor/physical therapist/athletic trainer). They will be in a far better position to give you advice than we can be over the internet. 

Ask your doctor or PT

A recent accident tore supraspinatus, long bicep, and several tendons in shoulder as well as humerus fracture. Painful. Slow recovery. I cannot yet tolerate recoil or satisfactorily manipulate a pistol. Doc says eventually it will get better as I recruit auxiliary muscles to do the job of damaged ones. Repair surgery might or might not help. I’m deferring surgery for now. 

To make things easier on my doc we talk in terms of ability to do construction work: holding a nail gun overhead, lifting in the wind, etc. Some docs can be squeamish about guns. 

• 2 weeks later...

First, after 30 years in healthcare, I am very opinionated, the doc recommendations are low.  See a physical therapist.  They definitely know more about how to treat and recover than any doc.

Most are ex-jocks.  They understand the competitive drive.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:17 PM, pjb45 said:

See a physical therapist.  They definitely know more about how to treat and recover than any doc.

I've been in the healthcare biz for decades. Good advice. Most PT are very well trained and results oriented.

• 10 months later...
On 2/9/2020 at 2:03 PM, Out of Ammo said:

Does anyone know if you can continue shooting with a long bicep tear?  My wife will kill me.

So.... Did you end up continuing to shoot?

I ruptured my bicep around the time you posted this, had surgery a few months later, and shot more matches in 2020 than any other year. I maybe went overboard to make up for the 2 months I couldn't shoot, but I got substantially better 

9 hours ago, Bw3375 said:

So.... Did you end up continuing to shoot?

I ruptured my bicep around the time you posted this, had surgery a few months later, and shot more matches in 2020 than any other year. I maybe went overboard to make up for the 2 months I couldn't shoot, but I got substantially better 

I had surgery because I had torn my rotator cuff and my long bicep.  The surgery was shortly after my post.  The doctor reattached the rotator cuff, but not the long head bicep.  I quickly returned to shooting in less than 2 months and have continued ever since.  Shot Area 4 and would have shot Illinois Sectional if it hadn't been cancelled. So, yes you can definitely continue shooting with a torn long head bicep tear.