Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tool for removing mag release

racer-x

I recently received my new Shield Arms 15 round magazines and aluminum mag catch for my G48.

Turns out, removing the mag catch on the new G48 (43/43X) is not as easy as all the other Glocks I've done this on before. I spent 30 minutes with a tiny 6" screwdriver that has always got the job done before. Bent up some dental picks and tried a variety of other tools with no success.

The solution was using a heavy duty angled pick I found at my local Lowe's. Got the spring out of the mag catch first try, like the tool was made just for this.

I used the 2nd from top in the pic below. The top one would probably work just as well. $9 well spent if you need to do this.

885911577779.jpg

• 3 months later...

I used a similar pick set out of my tool box. The G48 was much more difficult to do than any of the full size Glocks that I have done in the past for sure.

I once did one on a Canik TP9SFX and I think that was even worse!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look up "dental elevator" you're welcome : ) they come in different flavours so you'll have to choose the right one.

The angled picks work but having one with a flat point (as opposed to a needle point) really helps make it a bit easier.

Edited by Sniperboy