Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder choice for IDPA ESR

ajblack

I was going to list this in the reloading section, but I'm specifically looking for performance with revolvers. 

I'm going to start load development for a 625 in IDPA and am wondering what powders are best for the ~160 pf that I'm looking to make with 230 grain RN.  Specifically, I'm looking for a powder that won't leave unburnt flakes in the cylinders. I'm looking at Clay's, Clay Dot, or Red Dot as they seem fast enough to burn fully in this power factor range. 

Titegroup will do fine at that PF. That also brings bullseye and n320 on the page as well. As long as you can get a clean load out of any of those, that’s what I would stay with. 

A lot of 625 shooters like Clays, but I’m not a fan of the way it meters in handgun weights. 

The PF for ESR is 155 I like a 185 to 200 @ 840 to 780 and Clays/Clay Dot are my choice.  Titegroup would be fine but it tends to heat up the gun, and for a Revolver that can be an issue in the summer!  

16 hours ago, matteekay said:

I'm a big fan of WST for .45 (and now I'm using it in .40 S&W). Clean, meters well, makes power easily, and inexpensive.

Be very careful with WST as it tends to be Inverse Temperature Sensitive it will lose velocity as the ambient temps rise.  

Back in the '90's I used it in 45 acp and had to add 40+ f/s over my target velocities in the winter when I tend to work up loads and it still would barely make major in the summer.  A buddy went to no-score in the MW ICORE Regional last summer.  He told me he was 50 f/s over what was needed, I believed him as he usually shoots way over PF, when he chron'd the load in the spring.  But in the 100 deg heat of July he was 40 f/s under what was needed.  I started delving deeper and when he told me his load, it was WST.  Didn't surprise me.

13 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Be very careful with WST as it tends to be Inverse Temperature Sensitive it will lose velocity as the ambient temps rise.  

Back in the '90's I used it in 45 acp and had to add 40+ f/s over my target velocities in the winter when I tend to work up loads and it still would barely make major in the summer.  A buddy went to no-score in the MW ICORE Regional last summer.  He told me he was 50 f/s over what was needed, I believed him as he usually shoots way over PF, when he chron'd the load in the spring.  But in the 100 deg heat of July he was 40 f/s under what was needed.  I started delving deeper and when he told me his load, it was WST.  Didn't surprise me.

That's a very good callout. I'm aware of this and load faster than I need to (in all powders, actually). I still clocked at 172ish PF out of a 4" barrel in nearly 100-degree temps at the IDPA state championship. I load to the low-ish end of my ladder but never the very bottom.