Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primers being crushed on up stroke

started having an issue with primers not seating correctly & being crushed during the up stroke.  at first I thought it was  some  military crimped cases but than I tried reloading a case that was deprimed and didnt work at first and it worked just fine the 2nd time.  it only happens every 3rd or 4th case & if I jiggle the shellplate i can some times get it to line up & seat the primer without issue.

anyone know what needs to be adjusted?

I had this problem in the past, and everyone told me i needed the alignment tool. When I called Dillon he told me that wasn’t likely the problem. I took everything apart including primer station and cleaned it all with isopropyl alcohol and put it back together. Worked great after that. Grime was getting caught under my primer disk if I recall correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

223?

I had issue with these, I found that if I take my shellplate off grease the underside and tighten to the point where it still spins but has little to no play side to side when pushing on the plate I have a much better result.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

probably need to remove shell plate and primer feeder and clean everything. Inspect the primer arm and feeder for any burs, also the cup that holds the primers can bugger up.
You didnt mention press but on a 550 the little trap door that catches the spent primers can get a primer stuck sideways in the slit at top. Its hard to see but often this can flip the new primer sideways as it comes forward.
Put everything back together after inspection. Leave primer feeder allens loose  raise handle and let cup exactly center itself before snugging it down. Dont tighten it much just a bit snug

Sorry,   Forgot to mention it is a 650 doing 9mm. What is the ‘rea;ignment tool?

i’ll clean everything and also check the spring arm position

BTW, just like with my guns I hate cleaning, why can’t stuff work when its dirty ....

19 hours ago, Balakay said:

Ok looked this up, and read description says it comes with the failsafe powder kit for the 550,,, I had assumed it went in the powder measure,,, why does it come with the powder measure upgrade ? I have both old and new style measures on various tool heads, Never dont anythign with this tool, as I most certainly didnt upgrade my measures,, Too clunky and jerkey , I like the old style with springs better. Works fine

8 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Ok looked this up, and read description says it comes with the failsafe powder kit for the 550,,, I had assumed it went in the powder measure,,, why does it come with the powder measure upgrade ? I have both old and new style measures on various tool heads, Never dont anythign with this tool, as I most certainly didnt upgrade my measures,, Too clunky and jerkey , I like the old style with springs better. Works fine

the tool is inserted in the powder die (without a powder measure). If you have never changed platform or had alignment issues, there would have been no need for you to use it for powder measure changes.

I broke a ring indexer a while ago.  Called Dillon. They sent me the tool because you need to remove the platform to change the indexer.  When re-installing the platform, tool helps with alignment

yeh I kinda looked at it now,,, no idea why they include it with the powder measure upgrade, glad I saw this thread,, mine is stil in the bag,,, but woulda benn confused as all get out...
I mean heck its one thing to have a washer or something left over after a job,, but when a big giant wierd part is laying around after a job , kinda makes you worry

Edited by Joe4d

22 hours ago, Nimitz said:

Sorry,   Forgot to mention it is a 650 doing 9mm. What is the ‘rea;ignment tool?

i’ll clean everything and also check the spring arm position

BTW, just like with my guns I hate cleaning, why can’t stuff work when its dirty ....

Call dillon tell them you need the alignment tool and the primer alignment pin. They’ll send it to you for free.