Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Steel loads

FENWICK7

My 929 arrived 2day at TK CUSTOM for complete makeover.I would like to use one of

the Two Alpha bullets (coated) to shoot big dawg in June and also monthly CIPS matches.

have even considered shooting DEWC or Semi-WC's in the first moon clip with RN for 

quick relaoad. I have lots of Unique, 700x and Tite group on hand but not opposed to 

another powder. any thoughts or suggestions (please be kind) would be greatly 

appreciated. thanks.

Congratulations on the 929.  TK Custom will do a great job for you.  I'd suggest 160 grain RN bullet with a minimum of powder so that you could use the same load for Steel and ICORE or USPSA.  I like VV N320.  

Get some good brass and stay with it.  Match your brass to the TK Moon clips.

I'd stay away from DEWC or Semi-WC.  Why load two different bullets?  It's easier to just stay with one style that you find reliable.

9 hours ago, FENWICK7 said:

My 929 arrived 2day at TK CUSTOM for complete makeover.I would like to use one of

the Two Alpha bullets (coated) to shoot big dawg in June and also monthly CIPS matches.

have even considered shooting DEWC or Semi-WC's in the first moon clip with RN for 

quick relaoad. I have lots of Unique, 700x and Tite group on hand but not opposed to 

another powder. any thoughts or suggestions (please be kind) would be greatly 

appreciated. thanks.

Is this a steel challenge load or a knockdown steel load?

57 minutes ago, FENWICK7 said:

Big Dawg. knock down plate racks with different asorments of targets.

I’m not familiar with the match itself, but for most knockdown steel I’m just using standard 132-133pf loads with 147-160gr. 

I’d pass on anything except round nose. It’s not really the best idea to be using different bullet profiles, and the targets we shoot in matches with a timer never warrant the accuracy of a WC or semi WC.

In my opinion, there are only two loads you need for a revolver for our shooting sports. (929/627) 

Minor load - 130 PF good for USPSA, ICORE, Knockdown steel, etc.  135gr-160 grain bullet, RN profile

Sub Minor load- Steel Challenge - 95gr-115 grain bullet, whatever profile you like, doesn't matter. Making at least 800 - 850 fps. 

14 hours ago, alecmc said:

In my opinion, there are only two loads you need for a revolver for our shooting sports. (929/627) 

Minor load - 130 PF good for USPSA, ICORE, Knockdown steel, etc.  135gr-160 grain bullet, RN profile

Sub Minor load- Steel Challenge - 95gr-115 grain bullet, whatever profile you like, doesn't matter. Making at least 800 - 850 fps. 

Agreed. And if a guy does his homework, all you have to do is change the bullet. 

Big Dawg has 15 stages of plate racks (steel knock downs per rack).

Each stage is run 4 times.many different assortment of targets. The 

929 gives me 2 extra rnds per run for any misses. I know there will be

runs that will require a reload on my part. I was thinking a DEWC  might

deliver more energy on a half bullet hit than round nose. (I am not rocket

scientist) then use round nose backups if i have to reload under time. I hope 

to get enough central iowa shooting buddies to join me and squad together.

I will need all the luck I can muster to stay close to some of them. I'm sure

you all know about bragging rites among shooting buddies.

Others might chime in but Big Dawg sounds like the PSA shootout near Hersey PA.  Going to try it out this year, looks like a blast! 

The crew out there though makes it 6 shot friendly for iron revo, 10sec penalty for extra shots over 6 for the 8 shot guns. Open revo is 8 shots.

I'm using a 165gr going ~750fps and had no issues activating steel at the IRC, other than missing of course.

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Others might chime in but Big Dawg sounds like the PSA shootout near Hersey PA.  Going to try it out this year, looks like a blast! 

The crew out there though makes it 6 shot friendly for iron revo, 10sec penalty for extra shots over 6 for the 8 shot guns. Open revo is 8 shots.

I'm using a 165gr going ~750fps and had no issues activating steel at the IRC, other than missing of course.

I've been shooting the PSA shootout in PA since about 2012-2013. Great match - well run - fun stages - good payouts 

At the PSA , it's 6 shot for Iron sights, 8 shots for open sights in revolver.

Around here we just refer to those types of matches as " Knockdown Steel " sounds like big dawg is the same type of format.

Edited by alecmc

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that hollow point bullets have been much more accurate compared to round nose in every pistol platform I've tried them in (even PCC).

Doesn't anyone use hollow points in revolvers?

Wouldn't a 124gr HP be a great bullet (accuracy-wise) for a 929?

45 minutes ago, rr4406pak said:

I've found that hollow point bullets have been much more accurate compared to round nose in every pistol platform I've tried them in (even PCC).

Doesn't anyone use hollow points in revolvers?

Wouldn't a 124gr HP be a great bullet (accuracy-wise) for a 929?

mostly no because doing reloads on the clock pound nose bullets are your friend. 

if it was going to be a 100% steel challenge load then probably not a big deal, but with coated bullets my gun is more than accurate enough for the games we are playing, and the extra expense for and extra 1/2" at 25 yards is not worth it

Keep in mind S&W used .358 barrels in 929’s

From my research here .355” copper plated can be quite inaccurate but it depends on the gun.  I went straight to .358 coated.  When I finally received 2 brand new full tuned 929’s this August past I just kept using the same .358 165gr N320.  And they worked just as well.