Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Sig MPX Noctis a gen 3?

So I'm looking to grab this, the "noctis" mpx.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sig-sauer-mpx-noctis-semi-auto-rifle-with-red-dot-sight?searchTerm=Sig+Sauer+MPX+Noctis+Semi-Auto+Rifle+with+Red+Dot+Sight

It's going for $1,279, with a red dot that I won't use. But it's absolutely a deal.

It appears to be a PCC from the fact that it's using the new hand guard, and is missing a few upgrades that I'd be seeking to replace anyway
* No Timney trigger (I'll be getting a hiperfire)

* No muzzle brake (I don't think I care on 16")
* Uses the collapsible stock instead of folding (I want a TTI M4 tube adapter and MOE-SL anyway)

For the cost of the upgrades I actually want, this will come under the cheapest prices I've seen the PCC go out the door for.

The real question though... is it a "gen3" and / or how can I tell when I see it in person? Planning on going to the store tomorrow.

It looks like it’s the PCC model of the MPX which everyone calls gen 3. It has a flat trigger made by timney based on the picture. The  muzzle brake and hand guard are similar to the newest model. However, the stock is collapsible but not folding like the previous PCC models which also doesn’t come with a Romeo 5.

Make sure it has a 2 piece bolt. The recoil spring assembly can be removed from the BCG itself.

This is probably a Cabela specific iteration of the PCC model. The picture doesn’t even match the ad’s description.

Edited by George16
18 minutes ago, George16 said:

Make sure it has a 2 piece bolt. The recoil spring assembly can be removed from the BCG itself.

This will be my first time inspecting an MPX. I'm not sure how those will come apart? A picture would be really helpful.

Edited by PigSnowball

Thanks for the help guys, went to Bass Pro and the BCG was the 2 parter. unfortunately I live in the rapidly turning communist WA state, so will have to wait up to 30 days for local LEO to get through the paperwork.

Seems like a great deal considering so many replace the components this doesnt have compared to the pcc.

9 hours ago, 702 said:

Just picked up this exact model from basspro and love it. I'll be able to post pictures of the bolt, etc either tonight or tomorrow if you're interested. 

is the bird cage pinned and welded? Could you share a picture of the charging handle?

im doing more reading about the "gen 3" and there seem to be a lot more changes under the hood. the externally visible one is a threaded barrel vs pinned and welded. not that i care too greatly about the muzzle device but apparently the gas port size changed going to the pcc barrel.

i didnt get a chance to look at that carefully. im just starting to wonder how much frankenstien is this thing..

Edited by PigSnowball

The “gen 3” gas port is a little bit bigger compare to my 8” gen 2. I forgot the measurements since I did a side by side measurement last year. I took both rifles apart including the BCGs and did the comparison between their respective parts. Charging handle is improved on the gen 3 but still not good enough. The extractor spring is also different and comes with an o-ring.

The gen 3 muzzle device is not pinned and welded since the barrel is actually 16”. The gas plug is a one piece design unlike the older ones in the gen 2 that has washers inside of it that you can remove some to control the amount of gas.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:41 PM, 702 said:

Just picked up this exact model from basspro and love it. I'll be able to post pictures of the bolt, etc either tonight or tomorrow if you're interested. 

Interested if this is the same as the PCC version without Timney trigger?  For the price, seems hard to beat even adding a new trigger back into the price.

Description on Cabelas says flash hider, but picture appears to show a brake.

I went and looked at these earlier today and just about brought it home. The setup was a little different  from what's pictured on the BP site, did not think I would like the stock but it felt pretty good. Do you know what the thread pattern is for the comp?

20 minutes ago, mxj23 said:

I went and looked at these earlier today and just about brought it home. The setup was a little different  from what's pictured on the BP site, did not think I would like the stock but it felt pretty good. Do you know what the thread pattern is for the comp?

If it’s the same barrel as the pcc model it should be 13.5x1 LH thread, trying to see if I can order the factory pcc comp from sig

40 minutes ago, George16 said:

So, it’s pretty much a Cabela’s specific model then,

It’s similar to the pcc just has different comp, trigger and stock. This is a great option for anyone who is going to buy a pcc model but switch any of those parts. 

Edited by 702
2 minutes ago, 702 said:

If it’s the same barrel as the pcc model it should be 13.5x1 LH thread, trying to see if I can order the factory pcc comp 

That's a good idea, curious how the trigger feels. I've been looking at the mpx because of the ambi controls (I shoot lefty) this seems to be a pretty good deal for the price

25 minutes ago, mxj23 said:

That's a good idea, curious how the trigger feels. I've been looking at the mpx because of the ambi controls (I shoot lefty) this seems to be a pretty good deal for the price

The trigger is decently crisp but I’m guessing it’s around a 7 and a half pound break. I put in a elf se trigger after shooting it the first time but haven’t gotten the chance to take it back out yet. 

Edited by 702

Already have two Gen 1 SBR's, but kinda want this model. Stock would get traded to someone who wants a tacticool MPX (plenty of them out there) and the trigger would be a hiperfire anyways. Tempting. 

Anyone have any experience running the PCC/gen2.5/3 uppers on previous gen lowers?

2 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

Already have two Gen 1 SBR's, but kinda want this model. Stock would get traded to someone who wants a tacticool MPX (plenty of them out there) and the trigger would be a hiperfire anyways. Tempting. 

Anyone have any experience running the PCC/gen2.5/3 uppers on previous gen lowers?

I have ran the 16” PCC upper on my gen 2 lower without any problems. However, be mindful that the rear of the BCG on the PCC model is concave to match the convex shape of the rubber bumper on the PCC model lower (gen 2 lower bumper is flat shape and so is the rear of the BCG). So if you want to use the PCC model upper on your gen 2 lower, I recommend swapping the rubber bumper too. 

As for the charging handles, I’m using an NLA so it’s interchangeable.

I’m hoping someone can confirm if this is just the newer MPX PCC model without the Timney trigger and a different stock (maybe a different muzzle device too) with all the under the hood updates as it seems..?
I would really like to grab a backup to my “Gen 3” PCC model I’ve already been running, and this looks very tempting... still pricey, but I’d rather grab a stock adapter etc and ditch the trigger and stock on a $1200 example than do it again on a $1600+ example again...

1 hour ago, ck1 said:

I’m hoping someone can confirm if this is just the newer MPX PCC model without the Timney trigger and a different stock (maybe a different muzzle device too) with all the under the hood updates as it seems..?
I would really like to grab a backup to my “Gen 3” PCC model I’ve already been running, and this looks very tempting... still pricey, but I’d rather grab a stock adapter etc and ditch the trigger and stock on a $1200 example than do it again on a $1600+ example again...

Yeah we need more pictures or something. Someone very familiar with the PCC model needs to do a tear down to see wether or not this is a PCC just missing the obvious components.

I get to take a look at the one I want on Saturday again because Bass Pro screwed up my paper work... But I've never seen a PCC, I've just got a list of tell tale signs that one is gen 3 or not, ie. 2 part BCG, black recoil thingy instead of orange..

5 minutes ago, BC27 said:

I just got one and can confirm it is the PCC version (new hand guard, newest revised gas system and bolt carrier) but without the Timney trigger, birdcage flash hider instead of brake and original style telescopic stock.  Also includes Romeo 5 but no iron sights.

That’s a nice deal for that price then since most shooters will changeout the trigger and stock anyway.

Yeah, too hard to pass up!  You get to pick your own trigger, stock and brake and it ends up costing the same or less than a stock PCC version.  So far, I just changed the trigger to the Hyperfire Eclipse and have a very nice 2.5lb pull.  I don't think I'll bother changing the birdcage but I'll probably change the stock eventually.