Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone try the Black Mountain 2011 aluminum grips?

HIREDgun45

Would like to try this on my next build, price is right and the grip looks aggressive enough to maintain good grip and not chew the hell out of your hand like the LSI I’ve got. Not complaining about the LSI bc I do love the grip but man it’s hard on my pinky and ring fingers. I’ve had to put some cloth tape at the bottom to stop them from getting chewed up. 

Bought one (with the smooth finish for after-market grip tape) -- wasn't a drop-in on an SAS-serialed Gen 1 frame.  Took a LOT of filing to fit.

Gun still fits Blade Tech and G-Code level II .mil holster.

Feels really nice in the hand, shot OK (a little over a thousand rounds of .45 in 155, 185, 200, and 230 Ball).

Took it off, put the original STI plastic back on. 

Anyone wants it, you pay postage and I'll send it to you.

Edited by sinister

Guy, consider it yours (sorry, TSL).

What I liked:  If they had made the original 2011 with a metal frame I think this is about 90% of that.  The slick frame needs texturing -- buy their version 2 or 3 with the factory checkering and cerakote and save yourself some ass-pain..  I used stair landing tape from Lowes (kinda like sandpaper with adhesive backing).

What I didn't like:

It doesn't fit a Gen 1.  You're going to have to file off metal.  Not a big deal if you're patient.  I am not a gunsmith.  For some reason the dimensions are a little off -- the disconnector was now too long and the sear wouldn't set.  Two brand-new out-of-the-wrapper Gen 1 magazines wouldn't even fit in the grip without binding and would NOT drop free.  I'm sure if you're handy with files you can make it work.

• 2 weeks later...

What thumb safeties are people using with this grip? I'd like a high ride and with the no grip left side retainer leg thing on these I'm having a hard time finding one that will work. Either a no leg ambi or a high ride single side safety. 

Can't wait for mine to come in the mail 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought their 80% 2011 frame, having some issues fitting it neatly to an extreme shooters STI grip but I’m not sure which is out of spec. Just ordered the plain texture one and I’ll try some grip tape or a jb weld abrasive. Hoping the two fit.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:17 AM, Rjz5400 said:

What thumb safeties are people using with this grip? I'd like a high ride and with the no grip left side retainer leg thing on these I'm having a hard time finding one that will work. Either a no leg ambi or a high ride single side safety. 

Can't wait for mine to come in the mail 

EGW and Ed Brown both have Ambi safeties that are retained by the hammer pin on the budget side the RIA Ambi safety uses the sear pin 

Thanks for the tips on the ambi safeties. 

I'm looking for a single-side wide highrise. Not an ambi.

If I end up having to get an ambi I'll check out those ones mentioned. For 3gun I'd rather fumble some on my weak hand only instead of worrying about my safety coming off in a dump bucket

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...