Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel work-is it worth it?

BigGabe

Was thinking about having my non choke tube o/u barrels tuned by Kerry Allor or Jim Eyster. The chokes are IM & F. I'm thinking I'd like to have them opened up to LM & M, having the barrels polished out and the forcing cone lengthened. Was curious if anyone has had this done and did you like the results? 

So once upon a time I had a fixed O/U that I wanted to shoot SC with and thought about having it cut for tubes.

I came to the conclusion that a new gun with factory tubes was the way to go.

In your case, I'd suggest getting for a new barrel set and have it fit to the receiver. More money than having the barrel work but the latest trend is longer barrels for SC. 

1 hour ago, Shadyscott999 said:

I shot a k80 Parcours last weekend IM/IM.  I was crushing birds at 50+
If I get a new gun it will be fixed IM/IM and I will keep a box of spreader shells in my bag for in your face stuff  

just be careful if you shoot fitasc. I don’t think spreader shells are allowed. 

I had a Beretta AL391 that I loved to shoot, had the forcing cone lengthened and the barrel back bored to .750" (I think) I never noticed a bit of difference. If your sending it out for choke work it really seems silly not to just have Briley install some thin wall tubes and call it a day.

• 1 month later...

Here is how I would suggest you know if you want to do this.  
find some one with a new Winchester  or a browning 725. That you can shoot   These Guns already have alll the stuff you want done  But  from the factory.  If you notice a big enough difference to your liking get it done.  If not welll your dilemma is over

jb

FYI imho spending money on getting a gun to fit properly. Is better spent,  For sporting clays

Edited by crazyloks
Spelling

49 minutes ago, crazyloks said:

Here is how I would suggest you know if you want to do this.  
find some one with a new Winchester  or a browning 725. That you can shoot   These Guns already have alll the stuff you want done  But  from the factory.  If you notice a big enough difference to your liking get it done.  If not welll your dilemma is over

jb

FYI imho spending money on getting a gun to fit properly. Is better spent,  For sporting clays

He shoots a K32.

There’s really no reason for him to go find a 101 or a 725 and try them. 

Allor is an artist with shotgun barrels, there’s no doubt. I have a couple of SX1 barrels that I’ve had him re-work. 

That being said, You won’t notice much change, if any at all, after the hone / forcing cone work. Maybe some placebo affect... but sometimes if you just THINK it’s better,  it’s worth it. 

I’d probably find a new set of barrels with screws. Then you can play with choke selection and see what works for you. 

11 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

He shoots a K32.

There’s really no reason for him to go find a 101 or a 725 and try them. 

Allor is an artist with shotgun barrels, there’s no doubt. I have a couple of SX1 barrels that I’ve had him re-work. 

That being said, You won’t notice much change, if any at all, after the hone / forcing cone work. Maybe some placebo affect... but sometimes if you just THINK it’s better,  it’s worth it. 

I’d probably find a new set of barrels with screws. Then you can play with choke selection and see what works for you. 

The reason for shooting a 725. Is that the new 725 is that they are back bored to .742 and the forcing cone is done already. Just to see how it feels. if me memory is correct

the k32 does not have any of this done? Please correct me if I am wrong

jb

14 minutes ago, crazyloks said:

The reason for shooting a 725. Is that the new 725 is that they are back bored to .742 and the forcing cone is done already. Just to see how it feels. if me memory is correct

the k32 does not have any of this done? Please correct me if I am wrong

jb

I understand your reasoning, it just doesn't really hold up in reality. 

99.8996% of how a 725 would "feel" to him would be due to characteristics other than the internal barrel differences. Stock geometry, weight, balance, even the type of recoil pad. 

(Assuming his k32 fits him well) It would be a little bit like test driving a Camry to see how a set of tires will feel on your Corvette. 

• 1 year later...

in general if you have the forcing cones lengthened it will help your pattern efficiency and reduce recoil. If you have the barrel threaded for choke tubes, this will allow you to shoot different shooting games with the same gun.

Most important is gun fit-if it fits you will shoot it well- if not no.