Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major preferred powders?

chgofirefighter

On 12/17/2019 at 4:46 PM, fatjoe123111 said:

I agree with this. SWMP is great stuff! I used to shoot HS6 and then I tried aa7 and WAC but then I finally settled on SWMP. 

I am about to switch over to SWMP as well, I do like how aa7 meters though, it flows very nicely...  But I'm getting 8 lbs of SWMP soon :) What grain are you using, powder drop wise and what PF are you making, also, which firearm platform?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I am about to switch over to SWMP as well, I do like how aa7 meters though, it flows very nicely...  But I'm getting 8 lbs of SWMP soon :) What grain are you using, powder drop wise and what PF are you making, also, which firearm platform?

I’m running 10 gr 124 Everglades jhp 1.165 oal. It gives me 170 PF. I shoot a Atlas Chaos 9 major. 

• 2 months later...
What primers are everyone using for Major Pistol? I seem to be getting a lot of unburnt power using CCI small pistol. Wondering if switching to rifle primers or magnum pistol would help. 

Load is 9.7 gr, 124 jhp, 1.160” out of an Atlas Chaos. 

Winchester Small Rifle Primer.

43 minutes ago, clw42 said:

Has anyone tried Shooter's World Auto Pistol for major?  According to their blurb it's similar to HS-6 and Longshot.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/77189

Just curious really.  I'm using Major Pistol now, but might give this a try if I have time.

I've used auto pistol for awhile in my open Glock. It worked well for that gun, it had a small comp and small popple holes so it didn't need as much gas. Now my tanfo v10 with a moded comp, I'm useing 10.1 grains of major pistol and it works very well. 

Before Accurate began having their pistol powders made in the USA, they came from EXplosia/Lovex who now supplies them to Shooter's World. Clean Shot is the former No 2. Auto Pistol the former No 5. Major Pistol the former No 7. Heavy Pistol being the former No 9.

I can tell you that good many years ago I saw some complaints about the imported No 7 with guys claiming aluminum particles were being found as contaminants with some concern about the effects on the leade and bore. Maybe nothing to it, maybe worth a bit of research and maybe already corrected.😉 

9 hours ago, Jamese35 said:

I've used auto pistol for awhile in my open Glock. It worked well for that gun, it had a small comp and small popple holes so it didn't need as much gas. Now my tanfo v10 with a moded comp, I'm useing 10.1 grains of major pistol and it works very well. 

Interesting, I'm at 10.1 with an RMR 124gr JHP on my open gun with 2 holes and the small binary comp to make an average of 171.

14 hours ago, clw42 said:

Interesting, I'm at 10.1 with an RMR 124gr JHP on my open gun with 2 holes and the small binary comp to make an average of 171.

I know when I tested some 124 JHP they were slower. When I switched to a DGbullet ( coated bullet) I bumped almost 5 power factor. All so I've noticed that the tanfo seems to have a faster barrel than some of my other guns. I don't know if it's tighter, or if it's because we reamed the chamber or what. I'm in the process of testing DG bullets new 125 grain CN.so far they are awesome.my RN load is at a 1.160 oal while the CN I can get out to 1.190 oal. Which this particular gun really seems to like. It will plunk test and to cycles through the gun 100%. May give them a try for a while?