Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major preferred powders?

chgofirefighter

7 hours ago, QUATTROISKING said:

i can use all range brass I pickup correct?

You don't want to use brass that is "stepped" - you can see it looking down into the case.

I also don't use brass that is crimped (military brass), and some other headstamps that

make it more difficult to reload - I have a short list of headstamps I don't bother to reload

e.g. S&B.

Don't use steel "brass" - in 9mm Major, they can wedge in your chamber  very tight and be

very difficult to remove.

Also, look for any splits or damage to the brass.

Otherwise, I reload "reloadable" brass over and over and over again.     :) 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, QUATTROISKING said:

This may be a dumb question but running through a top end svi major gun using wac 9mm

i can use all range brass I pickup correct? Or do I need new brass to reload 9mm major

Most range brass is good, however I usually stick to FC, Speer and Hornady brass for matches and the rest are for practice. In the past I have used new brass for major matches but honestly if you check over your brass and stick with brass that you know runs well through your gun you should be good without the added expense of new brass.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:02 PM, aandabooks said:

Shooters World Major Pistol.  Tried some with Everglades bullets.  Cleaner and softer recoil than HS-6 which has been my powder for 9mm major.  Just got in an additional 16lbs.  Meters better than AA#7 which I tried earlier this year and didn't like at all.  Dirty and leaking powder all over the press.  

I agree with this. SWMP is great stuff! I used to shoot HS6 and then I tried aa7 and WAC but then I finally settled on SWMP. 

10 hours ago, AHI said:

Going to through this out . Recently ran an experiment with 9 major.

Loaded the same 10 cases     27 times      with 7.3 gr winchester auto comp

cci spm primers        124 Delta Precision  HP   

at 15 loadings the rims began to get ruff

at 20 loadings the first  case split at the mouth

2 more split by 23 

at 24 the first primmer issue showed up  not loose but to tight 

could not insert a primer.

stopped at 27 loadings  a total of 7 cases failed  for the above reasons.

so my conclusion load till you loose the cases

discard any thing that looks ruff 

Note most likely you'll lose the cases long before any issue shows up.

Thank you for sharing that information AHI.

2 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Why SWMP?  Can you elaborate? 

For my gun (Atlas Chaos) the SWMP was significantly softer. The dot tracks straight up and down while never leaving the window. When I shot HS6 it would go up and to the right. SWMP is a lot cleaner than HS6. As far as the others are concerned aa7 and WAC felt basically the same as HS6. After shooting those I was about to give up finding a new powder until a buddy had some extra shooters world on hand. However all this stuff is very subjective and each gun might like somthing different. Buy a pound of each spend the time and work up different loads to see what you like. 

6 hours ago, Practicalomaha said:

I am going to try shooters world major with precision delta 124 jhp. For the people using shooters world major what are you loading them at to make major power factor? 

there are several threads on the forum with data. Here’s one.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/268366-9mm-major-data-shooters-world-major-pistol-powder/

What primers are everyone using for Major Pistol? I seem to be getting a lot of unburnt power using CCI small pistol. Wondering if switching to rifle primers or magnum pistol would help. 

Load is 9.7 gr, 124 jhp, 1.160” out of an Atlas Chaos. 

On 12/16/2019 at 11:37 PM, orangeman711 said:

6.9 grs WAC under 124 gr. MGJHP makes 171PF in my TruBor. Very clean.

Almost the same load for me, 124 PD over 6.9 of WAC with Winchester Magnum Primers.  Chrono average 1398 fps. Extreme spread was 12 fps. Power factor 173.  CK, with popple holes.

Edited by Glock17open

What primers are everyone using for Major Pistol? I seem to be getting a lot of unburnt power using CCI small pistol. Wondering if switching to rifle primers or magnum pistol would help. 

Load is 9.7 gr, 124 jhp, 1.160” out of an Atlas Chaos. 

Winchester Small Rifle Primer

Very new open shooter here.  I don't know what's better or worse but from ~1500 rounds through the gun the most remarkable parts of using AA7 are small amounts of sludge in the crevices of the gun and powder sticking to the hopper/funnel and sprinkling all over my press.  The gun doesn't feel too punchy and the dot is pretty trackable.  That said, I'll probably switch to SWMP and rifle primers after I'm done with the current stock based on feedback.

Atlas Chaos 9mm

124gr PD JHPs

10.2gr AA7

CCI SPP

1.17' OAL

177PF