Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 priming issue

So I’ve been having this problem for a while now and Dillon said they don’t know what the problem is. 

I usually use cci primers and I got a deal on federals. I thought this issue is with the primers but it isn’t. When the case goes into the priming spot and I go to seat a primer, the primer hangs up. When I seat the primer it feels like it has a hard time finding the primer pocket in the hole. Sometimes the primer is 1/2 way into the case and it gets hung up.  When I pull the case out, the primer is 1/2 way in and 1/2 way out. 

then sometimes the primer will have a hard time going in but it does go in. When this happens the primer is slanted on one side like the primer wasn’t aligned. 

I used the alignment tool and everything is aligned properly. 

has anyone had this issue?

So I’ve been having this problem for a while now and Dillon said they don’t know what the problem is. 

I usually use cci primers and I got a deal on federals. I thought this issue is with the primers but it isn’t. When the case goes into the priming spot and I go to seat a primer, the primer hangs up. When I seat the primer it feels like it has a hard time finding the primer pocket in the hole. Sometimes the primer is 1/2 way into the case and it gets hung up.  When I pull the case out, the primer is 1/2 way in and 1/2 way out. 

then sometimes the primer will have a hard time going in but it does go in. When this happens the primer is slanted on one side like the primer wasn’t aligned. 

I used the alignment tool and everything is aligned properly. 

has anyone had this issue?
I was having a similar issue. I changed out the spring that advances the wheel that the primers move from the tube to the priming station and have not had that happen again

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I had issues similar to that but it was related to the tension of the little gate thingy that holds the case in position 2.

You mentioned you have aligned everything with the alignment tool, but it may be worth changing the tension on the gate to see if your issues go away. 

Is it crimped brass?

Edited by thormx538

9 hours ago, thormx538 said:

I had issues similar to that but it was related to the tension of the little gate thingy that holds the case in position 2.

You mentioned you have aligned everything with the alignment tool, but it may be worth changing the tension on the gate to see if your issues go away. 

Is it crimped brass?

how do you change the tension on that?  

That makes sense a little. I’ll have to check it out in the am to see. 

9 hours ago, mstamper said:

I was having a similar issue. I changed out the spring that advances the wheel that the primers move from the tube to the priming station and have not had that happen again

is it the spring that goes on the metal claw that goes into the primer holes to advance the wheel right?

if so, that spring is somewhat new. I changed it out a few months ago but not sure if this is wat you’re talking about. 

14 hours ago, thormx538 said:

Same issue with mine. In the end, it turned out to be a problem with that spring loaded finger holding the brass too tightly, so it couldn't self-align to the primer. The adjustment screw is in a recess to the right of it.

is it the spring that goes on the metal claw that goes into the primer holes to advance the wheel right?

if so, that spring is somewhat new. I changed it out a few months ago but not sure if this is wat you’re talking about. 
Yes. That spring

On 11/28/2019 at 8:30 AM, Furrly said:

The space between the gate and the brass should be the width of a credit card 

So I’m pretty sure this is the culprit. I was loading yesterday every slowly to see what’s going on. When the primer would hang up as it’s supposed to be going into the case, I messed with that metal door. After messing with it, the primer was able to go in with no problem. 

my question is how do I know when it’s out enough. Not sure what you mean by the width. 

1 hour ago, Atlasguy321 said:

So I’m pretty sure this is the culprit. I was loading yesterday every slowly to see what’s going on. When the primer would hang up as it’s supposed to be going into the case, I messed with that metal door. After messing with it, the primer was able to go in with no problem. 

my question is how do I know when it’s out enough. Not sure what you mean by the width. 

With a brass in station 2 place a credit card between the brass and the arm, the credit card should be touching the brass and the arm and the card shoukd be able to slide up and down freely, that's you're width.. 

GL.. 

4 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Another thing to check other than the credit card width is making sure your not running brass with crimped primer pockets. I had a bad batch of brass with it and caused these problems. 

I had a bad batch also but all these cases have been previously fired and the pockets should be blown out by now. Pretty sure this is the press. It’s very frustrating not being able to pin the issue down. 

Every time I’ve had priming issues with my 650 it’s been the parts on the primer indexing assembly. I keep a spare parts kit so I can replace them when needed. A few weeks ago in the middle of loading 3k rounds it started to have priming issues with it not indexing, a few flipped primers etc. I stopped and replaced the warn parts; primer index arm and spring, locator tab spring and the disc detention and spring and it was back to working 100%. Finished up about 2k rounds and not a single primer issue.

2 hours ago, Atlasguy321 said:

I had a bad batch also but all these cases have been previously fired and the pockets should be blown out by now. Pretty sure this is the press. It’s very frustrating not being able to pin the issue down. 

I had 2 650s one was great one was a problem child. Now I have a1050 😂 problem solved. Wish I would’ve went from my sdb to 1050 long time ago. 1050 is awesome. 

2 hours ago, Atlasguy321 said:

Primer pocket crimps don’t blow out. They are reamed out or swaged away with a tool. I have this issue if a crimped pocket sneaks into the process. 

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I had 2 650s one was great one was a problem child. Now I have a1050 😂 problem solved. Wish I would’ve went from my sdb to 1050 long time ago. 1050 is awesome. 

I would love a 1050 but I don’t see the point in a 1050 if I don’t have an auto bot. Now I’m into the press $3 grand +